Author Topic: Uncultivated plots  (Read 8302 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Uncultivated plots
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 18:49:35 »
Trevor - what you are doing with the starter plots sounds interesting. I was thinking about how lucy I was to have a mum who a) had a garden and b) was a keen gardener. And I realise I must have learnt lots from her. Which gets me to my point - how do you learn if you don't have experience? I realise there are laods of TV programmes, books and now the internet, but its not the same as actually getting stuck in and digging, sowing seeds etc. So your starter scheme sounds practical to me. Good luck!

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 22:04:39 »
Sorry I did not make it clear that the £15 is not a problem for me.  To a new tenant it could be a bargain breaker especially if they are unemployed or on a basic pension.

We have a problem in that the council employee in charge does not seem to have a clue about gardening.  Her map reading is not good either as she allocated the wrong plot to a new person.  That caused a bit of a problem but the plot holder and the new gardener got it resolved.

I like the idea of a gardening class for new tenants.  I also wonder whether half plots are too big for many people.  I know that it is nice to get one's own seeds but i wonder whether an introductory gift of a small number of seeds.  Like 10 or 20 of each of the different types of cabbage seed (summer, autumn, winter, spring and brussels).  Some carrots, beans, leeks and lettuce (there are others but they may depend on the allotment.

Yes there is a cost but look at the benefits, plots are cultivated and everyone enjoys their little haven on the allotments.  We will never get rid of the whinges but we have to try to get most covered.

Good luck all and enjoy your gardening.

Bill

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 22:29:20 »
It's no wonder they drop out. Perhaps we ought to be doing more to help & teach & encourage?

I couldn't agree more. The first thing we have got to do though is kill the ridiculous TV gardening programs with their even more ridiculous presenters, and replace them with some Real gardeners. Allotment growing is not about strength or working hard or looking cool, it's all about skill, knowledge and an understanding about the environment being worked.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 23:26:32 »
Trevor - what you are doing with the starter plots sounds interesting. I was thinking about how lucy I was to have a mum who a) had a garden and b) was a keen gardener. And I realise I must have learnt lots from her. Which gets me to my point - how do you learn if you don't have experience? I realise there are laods of TV programmes, books and now the internet, but its not the same as actually getting stuck in and digging, sowing seeds etc. So your starter scheme sounds practical to me. Good luck!
When I started two years ago, I had old guys telling me I was doing thing wrong (I was not wrong, just different), and althouh lots of other plot holders were friendly and helpful, I found the people I got on with best were also new guys, just felt more comfortable.
Having a group of starter plots close together is a great idea to help new guys get settled, and enjoy it more.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 23:35:08 »
Allotment growing is not about strength or working hard or looking cool, it's all about skill, knowledge and an understanding about the environment being worked.
... and a whole lot more!!!
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 08:12:45 »
I think a lot depends on the "teacher" and how people show / tell others to do things. I still maintain I was lucky, it taught me lots of basics but having your own garden or plot is a different matter and you find your own way

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 09:15:11 »
you find your own way

I think people like to find their own ways.  There are a lot of different techniques on our plot and most of them seem to work ok. 

I did give someone a lesson in digging, I just could not bare to see them struggle so much.  I could see an injury coming on.  Though having tried in the wrong pair of boots, I am convinced that a good strong pair of working boots are essential.  Lidl are great but not much good if you have small feet. 

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 13:56:10 »
It's very often the people with jobs who find they can't cope with a plot, unfortunately. No need to penalise the ones with time and no money. Uncultivated plots need to be handled on a case by case basis. The unfortunate thing is that it takes a couple of years, or even more, to get rid of them.

That's not the case on our plot - the tidiest most prioductive plots are owned by people working full-time, they simply use their time efficiently. I think some of the pronlem is down to those who give no thought to the effort required - you have to put in some - who think they can throw some seeds in in april and come back a few months later and everything will be ready. There are four working the plot near me, in 18months they've managed to "work" about 10% of the plot and that's being charitable

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2009, 20:30:42 »
I am quite taken with the idea of teaching people.

I would have hated that myself, I just wanted to do it my way. But, like 1066 I grew up out in the garden with my mum, so I knew enough to manage.

I think it would be better if people were supported, to enable them to succeed. Leaving people to sink or swim seems a shame, and it's not working, if there are so many unloved plots and yet still waiting lists.

But then I personally don't want to spend time supporting other people! I like to be on my own on my grumpy plot!

Do as I say, not as I do...  ::)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 21:12:46 »
If you take on a plot then surely you must have an idea or at least a book to refer to. (or A4A of course, I asked many questions in my first year ;D) I also found the elder plotters were only to happy to give advice.

Our site has recently released more land for plots and the newbies are going great guns, but there are a goodly few on the main site who appear once in a blue moon.One chap has had a couple of warning letters. He has filled his 5 rod with so much junk it is an eyesore and has only visited 3 or 4 times this year. Apparently the council don't have to remove his rubbish if he goes so a few of us have said we will clear it if he is given the old heave-ho. (Pyromaniac moment comming soon ;D) He has another plot elsewhere anyway ::).
Smile, it confuses people.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 13:34:03 »
See my site confuses me, apparently there are no vacant plots and there is a waiting list (now, there wasn't when i applied) yet the two plots next door to me are completely unworked and appear to have been left unworked for some time - and definately they haven't been touched since i first went to look at the allotments in july.

Now, (i am getting to the point honest) when i applied i expected a waitin list but there wasnt one so i was given my plot straight away starting on august 1st. I notified the council lady that i was heavily pregnant (being due sept 11th) and was issued bed rest therefore wouldnt be able to work the plot for at least 6 weeks.

However September 14th arrived and i received a letter stating that i hadnt worked my plot at all and if i didnt A) get back to them and confirm I wanted the plot still and  B) do some work on the plot by September 25th then they would take back the plot and give it to someone else!!

thats pretty swift work in my book and yet surely they cant have issued the same/similar notice to the plot holders adjacent to mine else some work would surely have been done? and it really is quite evident that none has!

needless to say i actually received an apology as i had already notified them of my situation etc.
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal