Author Topic: Walnuts  (Read 1319 times)

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
Walnuts
« on: September 23, 2009, 17:47:56 »
I've found a walnut tree and it's dropping it's walnuts at the moment. I would love a tree how do i go about growing them? :)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Walnuts
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 17:59:26 »
Plant one of the nuts and then wait  and wait and then years later squirrels will beat you to it!!

And they get huge so think carefully even if you do have the time.

But a fresh walnut just the other side of `wet` does taste wonderful

Twoflower

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 18:27:02 »
are they like conkers, as in you have to take the green bit off and then leave them outside in some compost  :)

carbonel11

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 18:39:25 »
What worked for me ( after many, many tries ) was leave them alone till spring then soak them in wet compost until they germinate ( in the shed). Pot them up and grow them on but make sure the squirrels can't get at them. Even when they are about 10 inches high the squirrels will dig them up to eat the rooting nut !!!!!
I managed to get three little 2 foot saplings planted in very very big containers, 1 was transpanted and died another didn't survive it's second winter. The third is still going seemingly strong. They do take forever to grow from seed, grafted saplings grow much quicker. They also kill other plants in their rooting radius with their natural herbicide.
But wet walnuts are the bizz !!!!! ;D

Twoflower

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 18:43:51 »
thanks i'll leave themin a container until sring :)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 09:43:30 »
I would love a tree ......

Have fun with your seeds but remember --it takes years and years for them to become mature.

I was lucky as there was a mature one here when we arrived--and 16 years later I`m constanly digging young plants out where a squirel had buried a nut??

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal