Author Topic: Honey Berry - advice please  (Read 1475 times)

philippaperry

Honey Berry - advice please
« on: September 10, 2009, 13:38:37 »
Hi
I'm thinking about giving Honey Berry a try.  Has anyone tried this yet please?  If so do you have any advice?  I am particularly keen to find out what soil it needs -acid or alkali.  It has been likened to blueberry which I cant grow (lime soil) so dont want to waste my money!
All thoughts gratefully received.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Honey Berry - advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 11:13:16 »
Hi phillipa, welcome to A4A!  I haven't grown it, I do blueberries in pots of ericaceous.  But one of my plot neighbours is growing them.  It's only their first year so too early for fruit but they're planted direct in the ground (we're on neutral soil) and are healthy.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:35:23 »
There are at least 4 very different plants given the name honeyberry I assume you are talking about Lonicera caerulea var. edulis & Lonicera caerulea subsp. kamtschatica though both of which are types of honeysuckle which will grow in any soil type. They are much happier in a sunny position with well drained soil, they don't respond well to the soil drying out completely so it is best to mulch them to prevent this happening.
The taste of the fruit varies drastically some plants produce very sweet berries others produce sour or bitter berries. You normally get a higher yield of fruit if you have more than one plant although it is not essential as they seem to be at least partially self fertile.

philippaperry

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 22:10:15 »
Hi Baccy Man & Ceres

Many thanks for your words of wisdom.  I am getting 3 plants.  These from T&M's fruit catalogue so hopefully they will send me the sweet variety rather than the sour!  The tip about mulching is duly noted, I will make sure I dont overlook this.

Regards

Philippa

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal