Author Topic: When does Blue Hopi go blue?  (Read 1461 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
When does Blue Hopi go blue?
« on: September 18, 2009, 02:15:50 »
Mine went in toward the end of May, it lists as 75-110 days and it's had all of 110 days by now... some of the cobs (yield isn't that great for me) are fattened up, but I've had a quick peel back on a couple of them and the corn is yellow.... They're in a tight block and there's no other corn near them on the site so I'm pretty certain they haven't crossed out... all the seeds were blue.....some of the plants show significant variegation of colour on the foliage with a red shading being more or less prominent..... am I just being impatient and, never having grown a flint corn before, I just need to leave it longer?.... one problem will be if we see an early frost... I'm setup to fleece my Oca but the Hopi was grown in builders bags and some of the stems are a good 7 feet tall on top of that.......

chrisc

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: When does Blue Hopi go blue?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 01:42:37 »
Panic over... looked today and it has started blueing up... now just need a couple more decent weeks.....

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 08:40:03 »
I have a red one and wanted to display it at our Eco-Fest last weekend but it was still white...  :-[

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 09:11:21 »
I have a red one and wanted to display it at our Eco-Fest last weekend but it was still white...  :-[

I think we can regard it as a truism that all of the "fancy" maizes are really not expecting our conditions, they're all from the southern end of the US or points souith of that....... Next year I start mine off a bit earlier adn get them in the ground a bit earlier under fleece or similar...

chrisc

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 17:16:09 »
ours are in the poly, have grown 9' high, bent over so the polle isn't going on the silks and we've been away for 2 weeks and haven't been there to shake them so I don't think we'll get any pop corn  :-\

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 17:50:48 »
Our giant white have reached a similar height...  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 11:02:01 »
My Canadian Pink Popcorn is also notably late performing, which is suprising because I had expected it to be a bit hardier and perform earlier........shan't grow it again methinks..... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 11:46:40 »
that's the one we have, deb..getting cobs on but don't think they'll get pollinated, I'm doing me best but it's no good with a paintbrush  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 16:44:45 »
Problem is, you'd need a whole allotment to dedicate to a breeding project, as you need a lot of corn to avoid inbreeding.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 21:43:28 »
I think all the other corn on our site has been harvested long ago! ::)

I think we will be lucky to get a harvest with the weather cooling off. I think my presumption that Canadian weather is generally cooler than our is wrong...so selected the wrong corn to try. Oh well, live and learn eh! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal