Author Topic: DLA their attitudes to gardening/allotments  (Read 11896 times)

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
  • Whitwick/Thringstone, Leics
DLA their attitudes to gardening/allotments
« on: May 24, 2011, 12:01:20 »
Hi,
With the changes at DLA and incapacity benefit etc., I'm wondering what issues, if any, have been brought up by them against disabled gardeners/allotment users? Many disabled/debilitated people use gardening as therapy - doctors have even been known to 'prescribe' the 'green gym' (gardening and the outdoors life) as therapy for people with physical chronic conditions such as MS, fibro, ME, arthritis.

Has anyone had any support/hassle? Are you willing to discuss this, as I know several folk who are worried.
Thanks.
Kill nothing, save it be helpful in death, or harmful in life! (Scartanore)

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
Re: DLA their attitudes to gardening/allotments
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 12:47:33 »
I understand exactly where you are coming from. I am 49 and worked up until 6 years ago full time as a cook producing 400 dinners a day. I was in chronic pain for about 10 years of that time. I got depressed and couldn't work I was then found out to have osteoarthritis in hands, feet,neck and spine. FM and now carpal tunnel too. My firm paid me unitil it was obvious that I couldn't work i did not claim anything as I was convinced id beat it and get back working. Well I cant and the FM is worse on the two occasions I Went to sort out claiming they were so nasty stupidly I gave up. I couldn't take the stress. I have to go back to sort things out and I am dreading it.
The attitude of the govt towards anyone who is long time sick or disabled is abysmal. They think sick people are putting it on. They have no sense of what living in pain or not being mobile is all about. I really think in their warped minds the believe people choose to be sick, I find this insensitive and insulting. The genuine sick and disabled are being punished by the fakes and instead of having the guts to find and deal with the fakes the govt is going for the soft option and picking on the genuine ones instead as they probably hope they are too ill to fight back.
Gardens to us sickies are a way of showing us we can still do something useful and productive. It takes all my energy to grow stuff in my garden but it keeps me going, motivates me to move my body and does my mind good too. But I can see all us sickies going out in darkness to tend our gardens to escape the prying eyes of dwp spys. My what a sad world we live in.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:50:46 by Ragdoll Lady »

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 13:28:14 »
I have ME/FM. ME for 17 years & FM for probably 40 years but didn't realise it was FM until I read about in a book about 10 years ago. I then set about finding what would help me. Diet & acupuncture worked but latterly the acupuncture failed so I had to resort to amatrypiline which I have found really helpful.

I am fortunate in that I am now in my 60s so am getting OAP. I did used to dread medicals but never had any problems.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 14:37:52 »
 I am badly disabled with osteoarthritus in both my knees can barely walk anymore,
Yes the disabled do come as 2nd class, thinking we are all dueping the goverment oh how i wish they could see the car parks for disabled & supermarket parking some peeps have a badge , park the car & RUN off to get there shopping while the true disabled are riding around the car park looking for a space near the store, it makes me very angry.

Please may i ask what is FM?.
rosebud.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 15:28:38 »
Indeed you may Rosebud, it's fibromyalgia. It used to be known as fibrositis.

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 16:28:28 »
 ???
Headingly Court are using gardening as therapy for wounded Forces personell.  I suspect civvies on ESA/Incap/DLA would get prosecuted for doing the exact same things!  :-(

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 20:09:51 »
My son (now 40s) has had chronic fatigue syndrome for about 20 years, and I have fought like a tiger for recognition of his condition, and of his right to benefits. He is by definition unable to focus and plead on his own behalf.

We have been together to three tribunals, after doctors said he was not ill, and we won every time. If you don't appeal, you lose everything. The appeals were very exhausting and worrying, but the appeal panel is made up of responsible people who are completely outside the benefits system - they listen, and are very fair.

Please do not let yourself be bullied. We know that some cheating people have been found working at physically demanding jobs while claiming benefits for being disabled - they distort the system. But if you present your case clearly (gardening very carefully, how you do it, photographs of you doing it, letters from allotment neighbours supporting what you say), these independent, responsible, caring people will give you enough points to get your benefits back.

That is what happened to us, anyway.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 20:18:00 »
Someone I know had to go for a medical. The panel was very good but they stopped his benefits because he was claiming for gastric problems & they were convinced he had ME too. His GP had not picked it up, some symptoms cross over for different diseases. He appealed & got everything reinstated & also qualified for more benefit too.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 20:47:03 »
I'd advise anyone applying for DLA or ESA for the first time to seek help from C.A.B, Age UK or other agencies, who can advise on how best to complete the forms and, if necessary, may be able to help with appeals. CAB are also collecting evidence nationally on the quality of the medical tests for ESA as well as on how the cuts are affecting disabled people disproportionately.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 20:47:54 »
Right, that is the point I am making.

Always appeal. The Decision Maker makes the decision, and you appeal against it. Took me years to realise this.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 21:31:26 »
It makes me very angry when I read this, having lived in the UK from 2000 to 2009 I was appalled at the way anyone with a medical disability was treated, it was one of the main reasons why we decided to return to Canada. Poodles are given better treatment there by vets.

My advice to you is to go to any important reviews etc with someone on your side.

Apart from serious back problems my UK Dr diagnosed me with FM when there, I refused toi believe it  and we had more serious issues to deal with anyway. Now back home they have one by one dealt with my health problems and among them was the FM diagnosis. It is treated very seriously here and I have never been made to feel uncomfortable etc.

Re blue badges which someone mentioned, although on 2 elbow crutches in the UK I was refused a blue badge, I appealled, my Dr wrote a letter and still I was refused. Here my Dr suggested it, gave me a form he signed it, John took it to an office  closeby and I had the badge in 1 hour.

Such is the difference.

I want to say something and am not sure just how to phrase it so please don't anyone get offended at my clumsy attempt.

One thing that we noticed when we returned tio the UK foir those 9 years was how timid folks seem to be about standing up for themselves  especially with anything medical,. Drs are treated as Gods and the patients are expected to be grateful,you can't choose your Dr, you have to have what is in your area etc and when in with a Dr folks seem to put up with rudeness and abruptness as if that is the way it has to be.. it isn't. I changed my Dr 6 times till I at least got one that I could communicate with.. but  I am rambling and missing my point.

It is your life, your body, if need be arm yourself when confonting a medical anybody in the UK. Appeal, argue, don't put up with ruibbish etc.

The poor standards in the UK will never change as long as folks just accept it without putting up some resistance.. I know it is hard but you owe it to yourself.

Sorry harsh words, but don't accept the garbage, just because you are not able to work does not make you bedridden which they seem to think you need to be to be truly ill, you and I both know that working a job is much harder then dabbling a bit in the garden and for anyone to suggest that you are swinging bthe lead because you grow a few veggies is insulting..don't stand for it.

Scrap for yourselves as you would your kids..

Good Luck

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 09:42:23 »
Great advise Jenny as always. I just think its always harder to stick up for yourself than for a partner or a child.

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 20:03:14 »
wow!! Excellent points all, especially the ones from the Canadian lady.

I'm SO pleased that after 2 years of hell with local 'doctors' I have just returned to my original practice of doctors who, for almost 30 years always truly supported me in managing the arthritis and fibro. Within 5 mins of getting back, my doctor had arranged new physio appts that WILL (she wants) include Green Gym as advocated by Headingly Court for returning Forces personnel as 'rehab'. A full MOT and other bits... The practice I was at for 2 years couldn't even be bothered to sort pain clinics, 'gutter' arthritis crutches or anything useful. So, I agree. Vote with your feet..  Complain to PALS.. get the media involved . Nonetheless, I still expect to lose my DLA even with my doctor's support, my Thrive, FibroUK, etc., memberships  as ETOS are paid £13,000 for every person they get thrown off benefit !

Still interested in hearing from folk about how they manage. We need as much support as we can get.   

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 20:09:01 »
I think to get the £13000 they have to find them a job & they have to keep that job for 2 years. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I have that wrong.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 22:11:39 »
Also, it's ATOS.  ;)

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 00:53:52 »
 ;D
Thanks for the correction and extra information GrannyJanny. Just shows how incandescent with rage (and dippy) I can get. Lol

Hoping the weather change eases everyone's aches and pains for a while... And if it doesn't, hope it lifts us all enough not to care. :-)

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 00:57:05 »
Ditto to Caroline. 
Wonder who I was thinking of with THAT ackronym?  Probably Atas or some other Trade Union. Lol

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal