Author Topic: How do you start??  (Read 2967 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
How do you start??
« on: October 15, 2004, 19:35:28 »
I've been trying for ages to get a friend onto the net. An 80 year old, DFC in Burma & AFC as flying instructor & test pilot. Not on it yet??

I would have thought an 'anytime' contract would suit, but can anyone suggest the optimum server + anti-spam/virus combination?? I do not think that he needs Broadband.

I get by, but am in no position to make comparative recommendations. Would be most grateful for advice. = Tim

« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 19:36:15 by tim »

ken (69)

• Acre
Re:How do you start??
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 10:18:20 »
Hi Tim...'anytime' contracts are often limited to max 150 hrs per month...not good value compared, to say, Tiscali Daytime (or Daytime plus) 10 hrs a day. (£5 and £8 p.m. respectively). Zone Alarm and AVG anti vrus are free and works well on this old comp.In addition Ada-aware plus Spyware Blaster keep other nasties out. All of these programmes can be automated. 'evening and weekend' setups are for people at work. Tiscali ANYTIME definately not good value. ISP review is useful but evryone is plugging something.Computeractive readers forum very good for instant response to problems.....Regards Ken

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 11:12:37 »
In addition to Tim's enquiry, has any one used Supa-net Narrowband "anytime" service? I cannot find any reference to the number of hours per month on the Terms and Conditions.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 14:41:46 »
Had a quick research, Eric. Went round in circles. If not at all clear must be a con.Think it's a re-sell of BT Openworld, or perhaps 'anytime' at 1p a minute.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 15:54:08 »
Which magazine voted it the best Narrowband ISP, but still can find no mention of any time limit.  Even if it is a con it is probably better than BT.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 16:19:01 »
Eric prompts me to look at the Which records, & all I can find are these.
I doubt that our friend would want more than the 150 hrs that we have, but I'm interested in paying £5-8 rather than the £15 that we pay now. = Tim

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 16:49:47 »
Thanks Tim. We are stuck with BT for the present and Pay as you go access at 2p per minute, so as I say ANYTHING is better than BT!

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 17:01:24 »
Hi Tim...Tiscali Daytime is 5 days a week 8am to 6pm...£5 permonth......Tiscali Daytime Plus is 7days a week again 8am to 6pm......£8 per month....so we are talking some 300 hours per month at £8....less than 3pence per hour.But don't think this is mentioned on those discs you see all over the place...you need to download it from their site.Pay by direct debit but a bill available by e mail (pdf) I've been on it a year, never had trouble.Before that..beeb.net..don't ask.....Regards Ken

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 19:47:13 »
OK -  Problem!!

I like to get some things done at 6+am. Daughter can be ordering things at 3am. A bit of a spread?

Having spoken to the person in question, he is only likely to find an hour pm in his busy day. Shame - because he would revel in it!! = Tim

motherhenswebmaestro

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 10:49:36 »
a while since I had a dialup connection, but in talking to friends etc

how important is cost ?

they  dont need a £1000 machine with whizzo graphics etc to get started. ie dont buy from some adolescent in PCWorld on commission . Even 2nd hand is fine.

a reliable 1p/min anytime  day or night dialup is onetel. www.onetel.net - good connection speeds

www.vispa.com may not be the cheapest but  if there is problem the helpline is an 0870 number and you get to talk to real person at the other end who isnt reading from a script - they even know their way around  linux !!!

My parents ( in their 70s) are increasingly computer literate

dont have the dialup connect completely autiomatically - if they do pick up a dialer virus they need to know and if they HAVE TO click something before connecting then they wont run up unexpected phone bills

they have a rule that they dont open attachments unless they are expecting them and havent had virus problems ( WIn2000)  - I gave up trying to get them to regularly update virus checker  when they are only online every few days . No problems up to now.

also tell them not to be frightened to try things - the worst that can happen is that you will have to switch the machine off at the wall and start it up again and loose a bit of work.

the local council runs IT sessions  for pensioners which seems to have been worth it - even though they end up using outlook express!

motherhensWebmaestro
www.citychicken.co.uk/hosting .
gentoo linux/KDE/apache/MySql

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 11:37:43 »
Thanks for all that! = Tim

jo2

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate couch grass
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 13:58:48 »
Much critised though aol is I would recommend it for a beginner as it is easy, has a free helpline and unlimited access.  I use zone alarm(free) and avg(free) for firewall and anti virus and recommend both as again they are very easy.
If its letters, a few photos, email and internet your friend wants he does not need a flashy expensive pc.  I'm using an old 98 pc with only a 400 processor and it handles all those just as quick as a faster dearer one.  An older cheap model also has the advantage of removing some of the fear factor- I know people who have bought the latest all singing pcs and being beginers were frightened to use it for fear of breaking this very expensive new toy.  

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 14:23:10 »
That is how I learnt, Motherhen, at the local library.BBC sponsored free course with heavy American spin.Learnt only the basics (and the teacher didn't explain that to close down you have to press start).,then moved onto the public computers which I believe are now in every library, some with FREE postings.Pity about early mornings, Tim, don't know of an ISP that covers nights and daytime.,other than 'anytime'.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2004, 21:08:26 »
It's all soaking in. Hope it helps someone else, as well? = Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal