Author Topic: Help with my soups  (Read 1850 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Help with my soups
« on: September 13, 2009, 17:28:37 »
Just fried some onions, garlic and cut up bacon.  Put toms (skinned in one saucepan) and mixture of squash fried in another saucepan with chicken stock and half onions, garlic, bacon etc. and am going to cook both for 30 mins. simmer.  Do I need to add anything else, herbs etc. or is this going to be another disaster soup. Any ideas before I rush downstairs to have a quick look/taste.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Help with my soups
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 17:51:26 »
It depends on what you like.   Chilli goes well with tomato as do basil and oregano.  I like to add the juice of a large orange and some grated ginger to tomato soup for warmthe and freshness.  You could also add a tin of drained canellini beans and some herbs.

Apple goes well with butternut squash in a soup, as do chilii, curry powder or just cumin and toasted pumpkin seeds.  Adding a floury potato to the mix adds body if needed.  Sweetcorn is another good partner.

Cream and sour cream go well with both.
Obxx - Vendée France

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 17:56:24 »
Quick, I will just rush downstairs, have some oregano, dried that I grew, and some basil, tiny bit of ginger in a pot, and a bit of orange (fresh).
Apple I have for the squash soup, will cut some up now.
Speak to you later, have written this down, will let you now what it tastes like.
Thanks.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 18:38:33 »
I have this lovely vision of you, Borlottie, running up and downstairs, checking the soup then checking the computer, tasting the soup then running back up to the computer - you are going to be ready for a nice big bowl full of soup with all that exercise ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 18:56:56 »
Well, I have just eaten three bowls of the squash soup with the added apple, with brown bread, and could hardly get up the stairs.  Next course pawns and salad, then burgers and chips and then apple pie and cream.  Tomato soup tastes a bit spicy, not sure I want it now, will try it tomorrow.  Woke up up 5 am, played tennis 10 - 12, walked there and back, then had to have a quick walk to the allotment.  Not too bad for an OAP.  ;D ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 07:17:51 »
on the question of soup I think I should remain  :-X

but if your tomato soup is a bit spicy try adding a teaspoon or so of sugar

:D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 02:04:12 »
I put a pinch of sugar in anything I'm making with tomatos.... always help bring the flavour out.... if I'm doing something vaguely Near East/Lebanese/Morrocan (variations on themes of cous-cous, chickpeas, tomatos, aubergines, halloumi etc) then I'll use honey, just a few drops.....

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 09:05:50 »
Added sugar to tom soup and it tasted OK.  All eaten now, thanks.  Think the squash soup was best, 2 bowls of that with brown bread for lunch and didn't want an evening meal.  Very filling.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 09:11:25 »
I always add sugar to soups and stews. It takes a lot of the acidity out of the Tomatoes. I always use glace ginger too cos it tastes nicer
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal