Author Topic: Ideas for a stuffed tomato, anyone?  (Read 2076 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Ideas for a stuffed tomato, anyone?
« on: September 14, 2009, 21:22:00 »
(I've not Googled, but wondered if anyone here can come up with a favourite)

NOT stuffed with rice, btw :-[ The thought of a whole summer of eating rice-stuffed toms each evening when I first went to Italy to live, while nice at the time, is sufficient for a lifetime of memories ::)

SO.....the Grand-daddy of my beefsteak toms weighs in at 1.5lbs and surely worthy of more than being sliced between mozzarella & flavoured with basil - the fate of it's lil anorexic sister, weighing in at a paltry 1lb only...

Suggestions anyone?

jethro87

• Not So New ...
If there's no oil under it, there's no oil in it.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Ideas for a stuffed tomato, anyone?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 23:59:00 »
my mum takes beefsteak tomatoes she slices the top off and puts to one side.

She scoops out the inside making sure the outside of the tomato is intact she popped some bread, onion, herbs and the tomato she scooped out into a blender and then stuffs back into the tomato and popped the top drizzle with some olive oil and roasts for about 30 min or until its nice and soft.

Serve with salad or in my case some bread and butter and drizzle with some balsamic - yum

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 00:08:50 »
We have a chilli on sat eveing and any left over we have on monday put into large toms and micro for a few mins.   :D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 08:50:57 »
Classic French stuffed tomatoes are made by mixing sausage meat, onions, a few breadcrumbs, thyme and pepper and stuffing them with that. I surround them with the tomato pulp scooped out of the middle, a few red onions and lots of thyme and rosemary. Cook in a hot oven about 40-45 mins. Because sausage meat is quite fatty, don't add any oil, just baste them occasionally.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 08:59:51 »
Classic French stuffed tomatoes are made by mixing sausage meat, onions, a few breadcrumbs, thyme and pepper and stuffing them with that. I surround them with the tomato pulp scooped out of the middle, a few red onions and lots of thyme and rosemary.
I had been going to suggest that since it is one of my all time favourites, but French sausage meat is very different from the sausage meat I'd get at my local butcher's so I'm not sure it would taste half as good in the UK. Worth a try though.

We sometimes stuff them with a mixture of tuna (from a tin) and feta cheese.Also very tasty.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 12:29:45 »
A favourite Belgian dish is fresh, small to medium tomatoes hollowed out and stuffed with brown shrimps mixed with mayonnaise.  Serve with a fresh green salad and Belgian frites with extra mayo.

Keep the mayo for the shrimps light and add a few chopped herbs or some grainy mustard if liked.
Obxx - Vendée France

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 17:18:40 »
 Lish, i once did some with mushrooms & a little polenta  with garlic Yummy ;D.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 17:42:40 »
Thank you all 8)

My dilemma's been solved, in part, by wanting to use up ingredients from the fridge/store cupboard since I booked a last-minute hol deal yesterday after posting this - I leave on Saturday 8) and the fridge needs emptying before that :o

SO...it's going to be a mix of Bud's mushrooms + chillies + red onions + breadcrumbs + cheese....mebbe dolce latte, mebbe cheddar....mebbe, hey! both! + herbs from the garden. Served on a bed of lettuce (various!)

Healthy, or wot!

Thank you everyone.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 19:49:41 »
Where are you off to?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal