Author Topic: Pruning Autumn Bliss  (Read 1899 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Pruning Autumn Bliss
« on: September 15, 2009, 20:09:00 »
I put some canes in early this year and they've established very well.  There are several canes that grew up early in the year and these have fruited well but there are many more canes that have grown up later in the year and they haven't bourn any fruit.  I'm pretty sure they're autumn bliss so I was expecting to cut everything down to the grown before the winter, but as the plant's put all that effort into sending up canes like a summer variety I'm wondering if I should prune like a summer variety.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Pruning Autumn Bliss
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 20:28:09 »
The real rule should be "cut out wood that has fruited". One problem with Bliss is that they're a bit spikey so it's much easier to do it all at once. If these canes don't have time to fruit this year, they will fruit next year (early summer) but you'll then cut yourself pruning them out... or I suppose you might wear long sleeves! It's what I'd do if they were my only type.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 21:09:46 »
Thanks Ollie, I'm inclined to do as you say.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 21:15:00 »
 :) Autumn Bliss should be pruned down to ground level end of January.

They will fruit well into November if we stay frost free/ shades x
grow your own way

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 21:20:38 »
Erm, arn't Autumn Bliss an autumn fruiting variety, and as such should be cut back to ground level after fruiting?

The recommendation Ollie gives are for Summer fruiting varieties.

valmarg

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 21:34:17 »
Everyone says that until they try it. It works, I promise. We tried it on a couple of acres of them when I worked on a fruit farm and I do it now. Still not worth doing commercially due to the labour involved vs running a tractor with a cutter over them but it is certainly worth doing at home.

I've got 2 others on my site doing it now too.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 21:35:10 »
All my Autumn Bliss canes will be cut right down to ground level as soon as the first frost visits.

This year the beds will have the old manure scraped off before the new goes on as the canes were so tall this year it was difficult getting to the middle ones ::)

Linda

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 21:39:00 »
Sorry Ollie just seen your post.  Does that mean fruiting from early summer to autumn then if you retain this year's unfruited canes? 

Linda 

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 21:44:34 »
Yes, you get a flush early summer, then a load of them when you're meant to as well.

I've been searching the internet for someone else who does it but can't find anyone! I'm sure someone else on here does it this way can't remember who.

If you aren't 100% convinced, try it on half of them. You'll thank me afterwards!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 21:52:27 »
OK Ollie you're on! If my jam yield suffers I'll be up the A281!  ;D

Linda

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 23:13:51 »
My autumn bliss and Joan J will be cut down to the ground Jan/feb had over 70lb of fruit so far not counting the fruit i have told others to pick !!! making them do a double fruiting must put a strain on them ??? mine fruit from end June to end oct approx, last year we picked a few 2 days before xmas !!!!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 08:16:34 »
One other thing about A/B.  I read somewhere they do not need any support but mine are now leaning over onto the strawberries nearby.  So I will be putting up posts and wire next year. 
 Anyone else had this problem?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 08:41:39 »
Ours are the same. They like to spread themselves. We had a rope either side of them last year but this year not. Guess what? the ropes going back next year. Not only that but we are going to make the row  narrower.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 08:59:27 »
I prune Autumn bliss the same way as Olllie. I picked the first raspberries on 4th June this year, and have been picking ever since, with lots still to come! The pruning can be a bit fiddly to do, but I think its worth it.
Kitty Katt

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 09:34:11 »
Only planted my Joan J in March and have been picking some fruit off them for weeks. They are now really getting into their stride and there are too many for me to eat on the plot - have to take them home for OH! They will definitely need support next year - could do with it now really but.......

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 11:17:52 »
One other thing about A/B.  I read somewhere they do not need any support but mine are now leaning over onto the strawberries nearby.  So I will be putting up posts and wire next year. 
 Anyone else had this problem?
I have put wires up through my polka, I don't tie them, it just there as a bit of support for when the wind blows.
The plot next door has AB with no support, and they seem fine, but I think they have been there a while and a well established
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 13:18:23 »
I cut mine down to the ground after they had fruited last year, and this year they are only about 10" high! They do have some fruit though..

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 13:33:38 »
To support my A/B I am putting 2 posts each end of the row with cup hooks to hold horizontal 8ft canes .  I did this to support my Summer fruiting ones 3-4 years ago which I don't grow anymore.  It worked quite well.  4  canes about a foot apart to a height of about 5ft.  Just tuck the rasp. behind the canes as they grow.  I then will remove the canes for pruning.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 08:44:46 »
To support my A/B I am putting 2 posts each end of the row with cup hooks to hold horizontal 8ft canes .  I did this to support my Summer fruiting ones 3-4 years ago which I don't grow anymore.  It worked quite well.  4  canes about a foot apart to a height of about 5ft.  Just tuck the rasp. behind the canes as they grow.  I then will remove the canes for pruning.

oh i like thi idea and do believe i'm gonna steal it ;) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal