Author Topic: Bog Off  (Read 6968 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Bog Off
« on: September 14, 2009, 20:13:51 »
The lack of a site loo can make allotments inaccessible to many people, and it's a problem that many are too embarrassed to raise.  I'd like to see a toilet on every site to eliminate this awkward discrimination.  Mains sewerage isn't even necessary with composting toilets and cost isn't necessarily an object either with a primitive privy being nothing more than a hole in the ground with a shed on top - though a couple of grand would be a good investment.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: Bog Off
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 20:20:05 »
interesting unwashed,ive seen threads about composting loos on here,but as we are now in the position of possibly acquiring one,ill be off to look again
we got a portaloo from the council already but the blinking thing stinks a mere 2 weeks after getting it cleaned (28 quid a go) so am looking at other options for the community garden
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 20:27:41 »
I've not actually seen one, but NatSol look good, and there are several allotment installations.  I spoken to a few peeps and there seems to be quite a bit of revulsion at the thought of a composting loo but I'm open minded and I'd like to hear from people with experience.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 20:38:40 »
We've been looking at this recently, too. There are two main suppliers: Natsol & Kazuba, using similar, but slightly different technology. Both have very informative websites and are very helpful on the phone.

They are not cheap, but the cost can be cut if you can provide some of the labour/building yourself; and there may (or may not, in the current climate!) be funding available to help.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 20:39:55 »
One of our plotholders has built one inside - at the end of - his greenhouse (that part doesn't have glass walls ;D). Anyone can use it.

We have been investigating this for the site, but my worries are: who cleans it and what do you do if it is left in a filthy state? who does the maintenance?

I am quite happy to pee in a bucket in my shed and add it to my compost. Anything more major I would head for home.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 20:51:02 »
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 20:52:57 »
This is ours.  Whole thing was built by plotholders from mainly recycled materials.  Chap who designed it does any maintenance (which is absolutely minimal - once in nearly 2 years I think).  There are a few people who give it a bit of a clean now and again but, to be honest, it doesn't get in a big mess.  People seem to appreciate having it and look after it. 

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,43295.0.html

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 21:08:41 »
We are so lucky we have 2 toilets that flush, provided by the Council in a locked building.  The only problem is that it is a shower and toilet in one, when you pull the chain stand well back or get showered.  Luckily I only have a 10 minute walk from home so don't have to use it often.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 18:03:56 »
We are so lucky we have 2 toilets that flush, provided by the Council in a locked building.  The only problem is that it is a shower and toilet in one, when you pull the chain stand well back or get showered.  Luckily I only have a 10 minute walk from home so don't have to use it often.

thats great if you have been strimming and need a shower  ;D
i don't belive death is the end

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 07:55:56 »
We put in a disabled toilet 4 years ago, we built it ourselves, total cost about £500.00

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 10:07:47 »
That's an excellent price powerspade.  How did you do it?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 21:56:39 »
we're looking at getting a kazuba loo, if we put it in a communal  shed, we can get one for 1600..looking for a grant as we have been told we will need planning permission for it  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 20:30:44 »
there seems to be quite a bit of revulsion at the thought of a composting loo

I worked at a place where there were composting loos.  Nothing revolting about them. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal