Author Topic: wing clipping  (Read 2059 times)

marc555

• Quarter Acre
wing clipping
« on: August 29, 2009, 18:15:56 »
Got my chickens today for the allotment, 4 Goldlines. They are in a coop with a run attached but when I'm at the allotment i want to let them roam free behind my hut. Will they fly about, my fences are 4ft high but don't want to go chasing any if they take off or should i clip a wing on them.

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
Re: wing clipping
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 00:24:35 »
4 foot high fencing won't keep them in, it always amazes me how high they can fly, (even with a wing clipped!) They don't fly far distance wise, but they only need to be 'up and over', and they're very nosey, they'll need to know if the grass is greener!  ;D!

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 14:17:17 »
Had them nearly a week now, they are in the run during the day with a roof on so they cant get out but when i go down every night i let them roam free for a couple of hours. They have been fine dont really fly  that much or very high even. They are feeding from my hand now but need to get them a bit more tame so i can pick them up without them trying to run away.

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 23:42:56 »
Hope you realise you'll not get as much work done now, half your time will be spent chicken watching!  :)  Enjoy!

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 15:51:47 »
Your right there not as much work getting done, i go after work everyday and end up sitting having a cup of tea with the chickens. Still waiting for my first eggs from them, might have to wait a couple more weeks yet

KimT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 22:59:36 »
Even with a 4ft fence and clipping a wing they will still fly onto the fence I'm afraid. I had the same problem but I have now attached batens to the fence and netting which I got from the local tip and it works a treat.
Love my hens and all that's henny!
www.thepoultrygarden.com

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 15:13:20 »
I also let mine roam free range when I am up the lottie and all that keeps mine in is 18inches tall little wooden paling fence!!

They haven't thought that they could hop over without much effort at all!

Bless them!  A couple have pushed their way through a gap but they are easily caught with a bit of enticement - they are into raspberries in a big way!

To get them back to their run all I need to do is to call and they all come running for a treat - which could be a slice or two of bread - between 12!!

Old Bird

;D

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 17:38:52 »
raised my fence upto 6 ft thats done the trick and I've got my first eggs aswell

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal