Author Topic: My apologies  (Read 1709 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
My apologies
« on: October 08, 2009, 10:37:05 »
My apologies for putting this article in this section but it was the only way I could be sure of getting to most of you as this is the most read section.

I have had this sent to me by a friend! I am not sure if the contents are fact or not?

As I see it it is better to be safe than sorry!.TG

CREDIT CARD SCAM

PCSO 7135 Alison Monks - Lostock Hall Neighbourhood Policing Team

This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want.

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it.
This information is worth reading.

By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard".

The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460.

Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify.

This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank) did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £497.99 from a Marketing company based in London?" When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account.

This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards.

Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?" You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on the back of your card (0800-VISA) and ask for Security.

You will need to refer to this Control Number.

The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works the caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card."

He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card.

These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card.

The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him.

After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card.

Do you have any other questions?" After you say, "No," the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number.

But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question.

Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 was charged to our card.

Long story - short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account.

VISA is reissuing us a new number.

What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card.

Don't give it to them.

Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or MasterCard directly for verification of their conversation.

The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit.

However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam.

This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA.

The police said they are taking several of these reports daily!

They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening. Please pass this on to all your family and friends.

By informing each other, we protect each other.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: My apologies
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:44:27 »
Thanks.  Don't think I would fall for it but you never know.   I always ask for a call back nomber to give my son to ring them.  Seems to put cold calling etc.. off.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 10:45:09 »
I had this email a while ago and thankfully have never had a call.

I would also like to add something I feel is important.

I worked/work for a car insurance company and would advise that companies whom you give your card number to CAN and DO keep hold of your card details on their computer systems.

The only way you can stop them from doing this is to specifically tell them to remove all trace of your card details from their system EVERY TIME YOU GIVE IT.

Also a lot of systems can take payments without the 3 digit security code.

they say that only the computer system has access to the card details but in truth the managers of the companies do too, and in the case of our insurance company, a manager made off with 50k of customers money a few years back.

so be ware and be safe.
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 10:47:37 »
It's another scam.  Sorry Tee Gee.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp

Just did a search and this one has whiskers on!

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,37384.0.html
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:53:23 by ceres »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:09:17 »
It's another scam.  Sorry Tee Gee.

Ah well!!  :( so be it!..but as I said .......better to be safe than sorry!

I rarely enter the 'shed' so missed the previous article, hence my reason for placing it where I did!......i.e. more readers therefore more likely to be seen.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 20:03:08 »
That may be a scam, but I was recently rung by the credit card provider that I use exclusively for on line transactions, who said it was the fraud department and could they ask me some questions about some of my transactions.

First thing I did was say I would call them back, which they instantly accepted. I rang the central number, who confirmed straightaway that a member of the fraud office had tried to contact me about a couple of suspicious recent transaction. They put me through, and was asked if two small transactions were correct (small items I had paid for via Paypal for eBay), which they were, then asked if I had bought anything in USA the day before, apparently an American company had attempted to make a small transaction on my account. Nope, I had not, so they instantly cancelled my card and ordered me another one, they would not say exactly why they had been suspicious about that transaction, but I was grateful they were! ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 20:27:38 »
Me too, Deb.  My card was used fraudulently up to about £1,000 year before last, or was it last year  ::)

They phoned me to ask if I'd made a certain transaction at a certain time of day, which I hadn't, but I refused to discuss any further details until I had phoned them back on the number on my statement.  They were quite happy about this, and all was sorted out in the end.
The Tuscan Beaneater

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 22:44:51 »
Scary biscuits.I've just been online buying stuff and now I feel like someones been rifling through my underwear ???Seriously I'm grateful for info like this because after reading it I think I would have spotted the problem,but truthfully......without this thread I bet I wouldn't :o  thanks TeeGe :-*
sanity is overated

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal