General > RHS Question & Answer

RHS Level 2 Certificate in Horticulture 2009/2010

<< < (2/5) > >>

Digitalis:
Hi Sparkly.

I've just started with Learning Curve and been happy enough so far. Most other distance learners seem to recommend them, too.

loulu:
Hi all,

I put in a general internet search for struggling with RHS course and came up with this site! I have been studying the RHS Level 2 cert in Horticulture by Distance learning since June. I've almost completed Horticulture 1 and the exam is in February. I am really concerned about it because the information just does not appear to sink in and I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem? I thought it may be because of not having the benefit of classroom experience. I too am struggling with the botanical names and the science stuff! I thought it would eventually sink in....

I can't believe its only GCSE level. I am educated to degree level and found that easier than this!!!

Regards

loulu

betula:
Hi Loulu

I found your post interesting.I had a smile to myself over the botanical names.

I completed level 2 C&G a while back and can remember the nights spent trying to remember these for exam the following day.Some people who have good memory have no probs with this but quite a few in my class struggled but we got there in the end.

My course was college based but only one day a week for two years.A lot had to be done at home.

I found it best to have a sample of each plant in front of me and try to pick out something that made a marked difference to the other plants,shape of leaf or whatever.With names I quite often used word association and formed a picture in my head.

I should imagine it is hard to not have other students with you to help,we often tested each other and that helped a lot.

The science is hard at first and was the part I dreaded the most but with reading and rereading it does sink in.

I agree it in no way seemed to me like GCSE level.

A lot of people on here who I am sure will help you.

betula:
For example..........Chamaecyparis...........Champagne in Paris  ;D

Just acts as a trigger....daft but it works   :)

Digitalis:
I'm on Mod 4 (propagation) and there has been no mention of botanical names we need to remember! Yes, we've covered the binomal system, but we weren't told to remember specific examples!

Can you give the common names of plants insteads of the botanical if you can't recall them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version