Author Topic: RHS Level 2 Certificate in Horticulture 2009/2010  (Read 24264 times)

70fingers

• Half Acre
RHS Level 2 Certificate in Horticulture 2009/2010
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:35:33 »
Hi,

I am starting the certificate in a couple of weeks at Shuttleworth College. I was wondering if anyone else was starting the certificate this term?

teejam47

• Not So New ...
Re: RHS Level 2 Certificate in Horticulture 2009/2010
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 18:25:18 »
hi im starting but on distance learning if thats any good. T

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 20:38:27 »
Same here, i have allready stared but im also doing long distance learning via HCC.

Woody
Im the gaffer in our house, the missus said i could be.
http://noobveg.blogspot.com

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 19:29:06 »
I am thinking about signing up for this course. Most probably by distance learning as my working hours mean I would struggle to get to the local provider for 6 or 6.30 (am a college lecturer, but often teach till 5pm and have quite a distance to travel home in bad traffic).

Which providers do people recommend? I would be looking for something that is a bit more than a set of notes (could read a book for that). Having worked in education maybe I am just being really picky, but I would be looking for something with good quality materials. Maybe a virtual learning environment with some interactive teaching resources?

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 16:03:26 »
Hello,

Just thought I would bump this up again, on half term this week with lots of studying to do. Considering the course is a GCSE equivalent level it does seem to be quite a bit harder than that.  I am at college for 5 hours a week and the lecturer seems to touch on the subject with lots of handouts and then moves on, seem to be spending a few hours a week recapping at home filling in the blanks. Maybe it's because it's been 20 odd years since I was at school and we have mainly been doing the science part this term.

I do seem to be struggling with the latin names pronounciation and remembering them, maybe that will come in time.

I do find walking around the gardens helpful in terms of building my plant knowledge and its nice to meet other students. Not sure how I would get on doing the distance learning myself as I get easily distracted, its nice to have a lecturer to keep me focused! :)

Hi Teejam and Woody - how are you guys getting on with the distance learning?

Hi Sparkly - sorry I can't help with the long distance information as I didn't consider it ,maybe the others can help more....

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 15:27:26 »
Hi Sparkly.

I've just started with Learning Curve and been happy enough so far. Most other distance learners seem to recommend them, too.

loulu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:43:42 »
Hi all,

I put in a general internet search for struggling with RHS course and came up with this site! I have been studying the RHS Level 2 cert in Horticulture by Distance learning since June. I've almost completed Horticulture 1 and the exam is in February. I am really concerned about it because the information just does not appear to sink in and I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem? I thought it may be because of not having the benefit of classroom experience. I too am struggling with the botanical names and the science stuff! I thought it would eventually sink in....

I can't believe its only GCSE level. I am educated to degree level and found that easier than this!!!

Regards

loulu

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 10:00:04 »
Hi Loulu

I found your post interesting.I had a smile to myself over the botanical names.

I completed level 2 C&G a while back and can remember the nights spent trying to remember these for exam the following day.Some people who have good memory have no probs with this but quite a few in my class struggled but we got there in the end.

My course was college based but only one day a week for two years.A lot had to be done at home.

I found it best to have a sample of each plant in front of me and try to pick out something that made a marked difference to the other plants,shape of leaf or whatever.With names I quite often used word association and formed a picture in my head.

I should imagine it is hard to not have other students with you to help,we often tested each other and that helped a lot.

The science is hard at first and was the part I dreaded the most but with reading and rereading it does sink in.

I agree it in no way seemed to me like GCSE level.

A lot of people on here who I am sure will help you.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 11:16:00 »
For example..........Chamaecyparis...........Champagne in Paris  ;D

Just acts as a trigger....daft but it works   :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:17:39 by betula »

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 16:16:48 »
I'm on Mod 4 (propagation) and there has been no mention of botanical names we need to remember! Yes, we've covered the binomal system, but we weren't told to remember specific examples!

Can you give the common names of plants insteads of the botanical if you can't recall them?

loulu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 17:12:14 »
Thanks for your replies betula and Cosmo and Dibs - I love the Champagne in Paris example! (what a good way of remembering).

As part of my course we have to do plant identification each week and are given the names of 10 plants to research. My tutor has advised me (we only have contact by email) that the RHS exam will expect me to give named examples of plants in the answers to my questions. The trouble I have is that already I have a portfolio of over 100 plants and I'm expected to remember the correct botanical name. Not easy for me!

Cosmo and Dibs - looks like our modules are running slightly differently, I am on module 18 now and I've only just covered propagation. How are you finding it? The latter modules have been better for me as they have been less science based - I am not scientifically minded!

I wonder if the course content varies largely depending where we are studying from?

Thanks again for your replies, I appreciate the help.

Loulu 

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 17:36:44 »
That sounds very hard as you don't know what the question will be.

The RHS used to have old exam papers on their web site it may be worth having a look.

All I can say is spend more study time on the subjects you know you are weak on.....that worked for me   :)

loulu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 17:44:40 »
Thanks betula! I certainly will try to focus on my weaker subjects and I will take a look at the past papers.

Its nice to know that I'm not the only one who has struggled with it.  :)

loulu

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 19:41:43 »
Loulu- My course has twelve modules but there are quite big chapters. I would have preferred to study at a college, but my local one only offered it over 18 months and I couldn't commit to that length.

I'm like you- the science is rather puzzling, but the other stuff like propagation, etc are more enjoyable.

I'm still quite useless at the botanical names, though! Plus, the exam papers on the RHS website have scared me!"

loulu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 09:42:03 »
LOL Cosmo! Me too! They are a nightmare! I have 20 modules in part 1, and 20 modules in part 2.

Are you doing the exam in February?

Loulu

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 15:11:57 »
No, I'm doing both exams in June........eek!

loulu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 10:05:00 »
You're brave! (although it may better that way as you can relate all your knowledge to each paper).

:)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 10:43:08 »
1, you will find the latin easier if you actually find out what it means, rather than just learning it 'by rote'
for example, if you remember that 'Hedera' = 'Ivy',  and 'folium' = foliage, then anything ending in 'hederafolium' is a plant with Ivy-like leaves,
2, get a copy of this!!     http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plant-Names-Explained-Botanical-Gardeners/dp/0715321889

3, don't panic, if I could get to a level 4 in hortic, then I'm sure you can too!!  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

loulu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 10:48:34 »
Thanks for the tip! Makes sense I guess and I'll defo buy the book after xmas!  :) :) :)

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 16:49:57 »
1, you will find the latin easier if you actually find out what it means, rather than just learning it 'by rote'
for example, if you remember that 'Hedera' = 'Ivy',  and 'folium' = foliage, then anything ending in 'hederafolium' is a plant with Ivy-like leaves,
2, get a copy of this!!     http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plant-Names-Explained-Botanical-Gardeners/dp/0715321889

3, don't panic, if I could get to a level 4 in hortic, then I'm sure you can too!!  ;)

How have you found employment prospects after finishing the level 4, tony?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal