Author Topic: re-locating raspberries  (Read 1582 times)

totallyorgansmic

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
re-locating raspberries
« on: October 17, 2004, 10:01:07 »
Advice please,fellow growers.
I have just inherited a shed, a lot bigger than my 6'x4' one that i use at the moment. to put it on my plot I will need to move a couple of raspberry plants that i planted this Spring. They are still only small and should not take long to move.

Will the plants take to their new spot if i do it this week. It is not too wet and i have plenty of well rotted garden compost to aid their transfer.

I plan to have a small area of allot. for fruits with entwining paths around them but don't want to buy any new bushes. also any tips on when to prune fruit bushes . thanks Adrian

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:re-locating raspberries
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 17:22:43 »
Actually, geek(?), think this is a very good time to move them as it's  about this time when I have transplanted suckers before and they ahve been fine.  For pruning sumemr fruiting rasps cut down fruited stems immediately after all fruit picked, autumn fruiting cut all canes down in Spring.

Blackcurrants, redcurrants, gooseberries all get pruned between November and March.  Cherries are different again and depend on the way they are grown and what type they are - mine are sweet and fan trained so various bits of "pruning" take place over the summer months really.

Hope this helps but there are others more expert on the site who will ahve more detailed info if needed.  I find I have moved various things around as and when needed outwith the "correct" seasons and most seem to ahve flourished!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal