Author Topic: Urine a dilemma I'm in a dilemma  (Read 2131 times)

salad muncher

• Quarter Acre
  • Wish I grew more
Urine a dilemma I'm in a dilemma
« on: October 15, 2004, 12:00:16 »
Why oh why and why?
Using urine to help compost or mix 1 part urine to 10 parts water to go straight over veg I presume. Now what are the benefits of this practice and some how I am sure this would have to be kept quiet as family would never eat my veg again :'( who secretly does this as a few at my allotment are doing it and want to know if this is a global recycling program to save on gallons of water being flushed down the loo  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Urine a dilemma I'm in a dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 12:22:59 »
Hubby goes on the compost heap when we're in the garden. I don't due to the inconvenience/lack of privacy!

It helps to break down the composting matter quicker.

Male urine is supposed to keep foxes away (due to the testoterone). Well I've never seen a fox in my compost heap (although there's evidence of them elsewhere in the garden!)

Haven't heard any benefits of water veg with it. Quite frankly I wouldn't be too willing to eat it, either!
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 13:08:57 »
I guess there are critters peeing on our veggies all of the time, we would just rather not think of it.  I don't think I would wanna water my veggies with pee, but when a girl needs to go and she in on her allotment, well lets just say, my compost heap rotted beautifully this year!  :o

salad muncher

• Quarter Acre
  • Wish I grew more
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 13:55:13 »
Just been looking more into this dilemma and came across this website www.mst.dk/project/NyViden/2001/12150000.htm about a test done worth a read then see what you think. you never know you may go even more Organic and eviromentaly friendlier than you think...but dont tell the family  ;)

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 16:17:47 »
I wonder how much quicker a compo heap breaks down with pee on it ???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 17:20:05 »
Dunno Andy, but it had to go somewhere!  :o ::) ;D

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 18:03:39 »
Used neat it is an excellent compost activator.  Diluted 1-10 it provides an organic, fairly quick acting nitrogenous feed for plants, which will green up your lawn, provide an early feed for your seedling root crops, and give your brassicas a treat.

Don`t forget the story of the Durham leek growing champion who admitted that he owed his success to Newcastle Brown, by stopping at his allotment to relieve himself on his way home from the pub.

As to saladmuncher`s worries, when you`ve dug in the the products from a cow`s backside and supplemented this with a pile of rotted vegetation, they`re surely not going to worry about a drop of pee.

salad muncher

• Quarter Acre
  • Wish I grew more
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 19:41:55 »
I metioned this topic to a fellow lottie and his face and body action was a picture but I also pointed out the manure fact and what we use then it all seems not so bad. So may keep this as our little secret and try this on a few plants.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 13:59:35 »
I beleive the male variety is better than the female as a compost activator. Dont do it myself though. ::)

Peter H

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 15:59:38 »
I do it all the time down the allotment ;) but it gets a bit embarrasing when the ladies try to see  :-[ .
 even when i'm in the hut  :o .

Peter.

Sue Minton

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 16:18:29 »
Compost Bin!!!!!  Must get one sorted ASAP and start comping, oooooh watersports and composts bins LOL

Sue

Great Site Folks

xxx
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 18:18:28 by Sue Minton »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal