Author Topic: photo  (Read 1996 times)

wattapain

• Half Acre
photo
« on: October 15, 2004, 08:25:07 »

A pic of hubby - the first day at our lottie - as you see a bit overgrown!!! Have tried before to post pix but could not understand the instuctions - DOH.
Thanks Richard (I think) for yours.

Sorry it was Doris pinks in reply to Steve  - - many thanks XXXXX
Terri
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 08:28:17 by wattapain »

wattapain

• Half Acre
Re:photo
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 08:26:12 »
Waaaaaaaahaaaaay
I did it - therell be no stopping me now!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 08:56:56 »
 ;D  ;D  ;D Nice looking plot there!! How about a few sheep to graze it?! :o You certainly have some work on your hands...........or hubby does! ;D  We expect updates now, don't forget!  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 09:17:52 »
Hi Doris, yes indeedy a few sheep would have been very useful - but that was in mid July when the weeds were at their best (or should that be worst??)
Anyway this is the last one i took - in August - i haven't taken any for a while as I couldn't figure out how to post them. So now i have - prepare to be inundated!!    ;)
But since then we've planted late potatoes , beetroots, turnips, carrots, all of which are doing really well. Last week I pulled my first ever carrots and wow - absolutely delicious.We've just put in autmn onions and are awaiting delivery of garlic from Marshall's.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 09:19:22 by wattapain »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 09:46:54 »
OMG! :o This is scary as I'm still waiting for my lottie, what will you do with that enormous pile you dug up? can it be composted? You appear to have broke its back now thank goodness :o

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 09:59:33 »
Hi Roy, yes I think we're winning,  ::) but most of that pile has been burned as there were brambles, nettles, & loads of perennial  weeds/n/seeds.
We strimmed some of it then dug up (hopefully) most of the roots etc.
Then as I said we put thing in to get things started. This plot has only been vacant since last December and had previously been very well worked so the ground is good, really crumbly and quite moisture retentive, & so far has made me very hopeful. The carrots we pulled last week were brilliant - never grown them before like that in my garden - always been stunted and pathetic cos of our stony soil. Will take a pic of the next ones.
Also we took on 2 plots ( mad I know) and the next door one i think has been vacant a bit longer so that's gonna be a bit more of a challenge. We've nearly finished digging the first one so hopefully can get next door sorted before it gets too cold. still it will be a bit easier than when we first started in August!!
Watch this space
Terri
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 10:00:36 by wattapain »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 13:04:57 »
Excellent  photos Wattapain!  A real challenge, but already picking your own - how excellent is that please!  I know some peeps who don't bother to grow their own carrots as they are so cheap at the supermarket, but in my opinion, you cannot beat that sweet, earth smell of a freshly pulled carrot, no matter how big or small!

Now you keep those photos coming, we are a nosey bunch who like to keep tabs on what we are all up to!  ;D

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 22:07:59 »
Wattatransformation Wattapain!! Great pics too.  I  love seeing other peoples' plots but never seem to take many of my own - must change that and get a digi cam of my own instead of borrowing son's ..
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 09:12:12 »
Do the trains keep the pigeons away?? = Tim

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 11:49:36 »
Well done Wattapain I'm truly impressed!!!
As the new custodian of an overgrown plot I find it an inspiration to see what a difference you've made to yours!! Any more pics showing your progress will be eagerly awaited, and good luck with the 2nd bit!!

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 18:46:10 »
Hi to all of you & thanks for all the words of encouragement - yes Tim I think the railway does keep the pigeons away as we don't have a problem with them.
 On the other hand, it could be the bird scarer from the local maltings across from the railway line. Charming peaceful site eh?? what with mainline trains and factories!!!  ::)
Up till now our veg plot at home has been a tiny little triangular space at the back of our tiny odd shaped garden.
Here's a pic of our octagonal greenhouse and the veg plot is throught the arch to the right of the pic.
But now that will be too small and I've recently bought another (2nd hand from ebay!!). That's now going in part of the old veg plot.
It's so good now to be able to plant whole rows of things instead of having to shoehorn things in wherever we can.

Haven't managed to get to the lottie this weekend as I was working yesterday and called out last night (I'm a midwife) plus weather's a bit grotty bur Brian ( hubby) was here yesterday and pulled some more carrots & beetroot which he took to his mum, but I'm taking my camera with me next time I go - hopefully tomorrow and send you an update.
Sorry this turned out to be an essay.  ;D ;D
Terri
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 19:54:12 by wattapain »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal