Author Topic: August raspberries - possibly  (Read 1258 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
August raspberries - possibly
« on: August 30, 2009, 19:46:48 »
I previously posted about harvesting raspberries in June/July from the plot I inherited this year.  I cut back the canes and there were lots of new ones growing along side for next year.  I now find that some of these have started to flower and there's some berries on a couple of them - even though they cant be more than 3' high and looking very much like they should be part of next season's crop.  Not sure what's going on... if they fruit, then what will be around for next year?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: August raspberries - possibly
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 20:06:33 »
Dunno... I only grow Autumn ones...  :-\

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 22:56:33 »
Sounds like they may be an autumn fruiting variety rather thsn summer? If you leave them and wait and get raspberries this year, that may confirm it. I don't think summer raspberries would flower now, but others may know differently.
The summer rasps that I've grown just send up new shoots during year one, these get tied onto wires for support during winter (during winter they look pretty dead and woody) and then the start to shoot leaves and flowers in the spring of year 2 and they fruit by summer.
The stems that have fruited in year 2 are cut down after fruting finishes and new canes that have grown up alongside them are tied into wires and will flower and fruit during year 3, and so on.
If they are autumn raspberries, then they are cut down to the ground after fruiting, there wouldnt be any stems to tie into wires, and fresh growth emerges from mid spring onwards, this fruits in the same year from summer through to late autumn.

Meant to say, sometimes autumn types do start to fruit in summer, so that may be what you've seen, or maybe you have 2 varieties there.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 22:59:06 by jennym »

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 08:31:05 »
Our autumn ones started earlier this year - we've had over 30lbs so far. Still loads to come. I'd like to take credit but we inherited them when taking over the plot. They are lovely and we were dead chuffed to get them

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 18:37:46 »
Could be something like Glen Moy which tends to fruit twice summer and autumn.

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 00:38:08 »
I have Glen Ample, they fruited in the summer and are now in flower again. dunno why though as I only bought them last year and this is the first year I have had fruit from them

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:46:05 »
I had this hapen to me this year. I bought some autumn raspberry canes last year, they came bare rooted but with alittle woody growth still on top. This i didn't cut off as i wanted to know where i'd planted them. This year they flowered and fruit on this growth that must have been last years growth so i've two flower and fruiting periods from these plants. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal