Author Topic: Dowerhouse Chutney  (Read 14181 times)

aggie

• Half Acre
Dowerhouse Chutney
« on: September 07, 2009, 14:28:49 »
I am looking for a receipt for Old Dowerhouse Chutney. I know its made with Victoria plums and cooking apples. I was given a jar last year and it was Delicious, and would love to make some.Can anyone help ???

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Dowerhouse Chutney
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 14:37:32 »
Hi aggie,

It is a Delia recipe, certainly in her original black set of books as I was looking at it at the weekend, here we are, Book 3, page 663, called Old Doverhouse Chutney - is that the one?

I am sorry, I can't type it all up at the moment and can't find it online, if I have time later I will have a go, if you don't have a copy.

Good luck

T.

Ps I haven't made it before so can't recommend it but it sounds good. :)

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 14:38:15 »

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 15:31:57 »
Thanks Tulipa

I have a copy somewhere will look it out. Let you know how it goes. :o Making it tomorrow

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 16:35:31 »
Oh good I hope you manage to find it, or if not let me know and I will send it to you.  I am hoping to make some this week all being well, I always have great plans but sometimes life gets in the way! ;)

Thanks

T.

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 16:47:47 »
Just dug it out Tulipa,

been to the Co Op bought plums and rearing to go :D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 20:52:49 »
Thanks for the post, I'd forgoten about Dowerhouse chutney. My mum used to make some each year, delish.
If I can find some more empty jars I'll make a batch.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 22:31:00 »
or theres this
http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-06s292.html
Lollabelle , that looks like a good recipe ,I,m going to try that , thanks ! Debbie   :D
Trespassers will be composted !

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Re: Doverhouse Chutney
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 18:30:42 »
I think this is the one you are looking for !  ;D

Old Doverhouse Chutney

Complete Cookery Course – Delia Smith

1 ½ lb (700g) Victoria Plums
1 ½ lb (700g) Cooking Apples – weigh after peeling
8 oz    (225g) green or red tomatoes
8 oz    (225g) onions
1 lb     (450g) stoned raisins
1 ½ lb (700g) Demerara sugar
4 oz    (110g) preserved ginger in syrup                           
¼ oz   ( 5 g )  garlic – finely chopped
¼ oz   ( 5 g )  whole chillies
1 ½ tbsp cooking salt
1 pint malt vinegar

Method:

Pick over plums, wash, cut in half remove stones, cut halves in two or three if very large.
Roughly chop tomatoes, not too small.

Place both into preserving pan.

Chop or coarsely mince, onions, apples, raisins, and preserved ginger and add these to pan, together with chopped garlic, vinegar, salt and sugar.

Tie chillies in bag, and add to mix

Cook chutney very slowly 1 - 1  ½ hours, or until liquid has evaporated.  May need stirring during cooking

The channel test !!

A chutney is ready when the vinegar has reduced sufficiently.  The way to tell is to make a channel with a wooden spoon right across the surface of the chutney.   If the spoon leaves a channel imprinted for a few seconds – without it being filled with vinegar – the chutney is done!

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 19:51:57 »
Thanks for this info.. It sounds lovely.  I have everything except cooking apples but I have been given permission by a fellow allotment holder to pick eating apples from a tree  on his plot.  Could I use these?   If not I will have to buy some.

carbonel11

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 19:55:58 »
Thanks for this info.. It sounds lovely.  I have everything except cooking apples but I have been given permission by a fellow allotment holder to pick eating apples from a tree  on his plot.  Could I use these?   If not I will have to buy some.

You could but it will be much much better with good old bramleys. Would be a shame to let your other ingredie :)nts down.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 20:08:09 »
Thanks.  I am pondering.. 

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 20:12:53 »
Flowerlady thank you ever so much for taking the time to type it up for me, I had planned to come back and do it for anyone who hasn't got the book but hadn't got round to it.  I made mine last night and it is already lovely, can't wait till Christmas to eat it!

Tomatoada, I think you will be fine with eating apples as long as you mince them.  Bramley apples tend to go softer quicker so if you start with smaller pieces there shouldn't be too much difference.  I used a mixture of apples last night and just chopped them finely in the food processor.

Roll on christmas...... just to eat my chutney, nothing else!! :-[

T.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 22:00:41 »
Do you think the yellow plums would be alright instead of the Victoria plums?

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 22:49:51 »
Hi Gwynleg,

The recipe says 11/2lb (700g) plums preferably Victoria, so I would think yellow would be fine.  I can't see that they would make much difference, perhaps just lighten the colour slightly but it is quite a dark chutney so shouldn't notice too much.

Hope it goes well.

T.

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 23:06:08 »
Hi All

Just finished making my Dowerhouse Chutney. Made 8lb jars plus 1 small jar. It looks really good. can't wait till it matures.

I dont think it really matters what plums you use, I used bramley apples, not sure if eating apples will soften enough but they might be o.k.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 10:51:38 »
Thanks for all the info. on here.  I have pondered.   I will use the eating apples as there are so many.   Will chop up small.  Seems a waste for the apples go to waste although they are going in the compost.  I have given as many as i can away.
Nothing to touch Bramley apples for crumble etc..

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 11:16:22 »
Do you think the yellow plums would be alright instead of the Victoria plums?

Hi Lady  ;D ... if you were referring to the yellow jobs off my plot be prepared for them to instantly 'sauce' ... they do not hold their shape at all when cooked !!  :-\  Victorias on the other hand do !!!  :D 

See ya soon ... Flo x
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 11:31:18 »
Hi

I've no idea if the plums I used were Victoria, but they weren't visible in the chutney so probably not.  Still looks fine.  I have made a different plum chutney before now with plums that definitely weren't Victoria and that was fine.  I go by the thought that it is better to use what I have and juggle the recipe accordingly, I hate putting apples, plums or anything else in the compost, so the more I can use the better  Using different apples and plums won't matter too much.

T.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal