Author Topic: Borlotti Beans  (Read 7353 times)

diamondgirl

• Not So New ...
Borlotti Beans
« on: September 09, 2009, 11:06:56 »
Has anyone any experience of growing Borlotti beans?  This is the first year on my allotment and I'm so pleased with the results so far - worth all the hard work.  I was given the bean seeds to try and they grew well but a few days ago they got caught in a gale and toppled over.  I have taken off the bean pods but the beans inside are in various stages of development.  There are pale ones that I guess I can treat like broad beans and just pop in the freezer.  Some are mottled pink and almost dry and some are mottled pink but not dry.  So, my question is, do I leave them in the pods to dry?  Or can I just pod them and freeze them and use like broad beans?   :-\  I would appreciate your advice.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Re: Borlotti Beans
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 11:34:50 »
I always treat the Borlottis in the same way as Broadies and freeze them, partly because I never used to get them dry enought to store and they would go mouldy and partly because then I dont have to worry about soaking and draining.
Best laid plans and all that

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 11:39:19 »
Would go for the freezing as well. There's a recent thread on here about blnaching them 1st, then drying them on a tray and freezing them. I'll see if I can find it again!

But you can always have some fresh - just boil for a few mins, then mix into a salad or pasta with some olive oil and garlic. Yum :D Or for posh beans on toast just add home made tomato sauce  ;)

Found it - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,54876.0.html
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:40:52 by 1066 »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:20:17 »
If you want to dry them... keep them on the plant and hang them upside down in a shed or greenhouse... pref one with a through draft... "a hovel" was a structure with a roof and a couple of sides for hanging beans and peas out to dry..  :)

diamondgirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:23:49 »
Thanks guys, that's really helpful.  I'll go and look at the link now.  :)  Too late to hang the plants upside down now Saddad as I pulled them all off and some of the plants went to a neighbouring plots chooks.  ::)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 16:43:11 »
Never thought of freezing them. They're so easy to dry and I have so little freezer space (I've only got two!). But I love them un-dried and used as baked beans or in a salad. Do they come out of freeze in that state? If so, I might try it with the last few left; I always have to make beans in individual servings, as although OH loves them her ageing digestive system can't cope with them!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 14:29:34 »
I had some fresh borlottis as part of a meal a couple of nights ago.... they beat the canned and dried ones hadns down..... shame I have no freezer space to try and put the rest of the crop in..... they'll have to dry.... like the pathetic handful (my fault due to husbandry) of yin-yang kidney beans.... neaxt eyar will give them a proper chance and space and protection... plus the borlottis, cobra french beans (I will never grow dwarf FB's ever again) and butter beans.... though if I can find some of those gigante beans I'd be tempted to try them too.... and broadies again.... won't bother with runners as not a fan....

chrisc

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 15:02:49 »
Trevor I don't know as its the 1st time I've tried to freeze them. Tried drying beans before but if not done properly they go mouldy so I was put off doing that. I'll find out within the next couple of weeks tho  :D
I didn't do enough plants this year and as they cropped pretty early I'll do at least 2 sowings so I can have more fresh

I found the dwarf beans cropped better than my climbing ones but I haven't figured out why yet......

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 17:43:31 »
Some of my borlotti beans have partially dried out but unlikely to dry further, What should i do with them can I freeze them, the other problem being is that as they are half dried out won't i need to soak them before cooking. Help I'm confused!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal