Author Topic: Runner beans  (Read 2183 times)

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
Runner beans
« on: September 08, 2009, 15:39:19 »
 This is a question from Gerry.
  Are you still picking Scarlet Runners in UK, I ask because a friend of mine in Rustington, Sussex was telling me yesterday on the telephone that theirs were finished a while ago. that was early wasn't it ?????

Ours are still going,  enough to have for dinner, haven't had an abundant crop this year, but what there are are a lot better that the green or yellow wax beans that are eaten over here. qahtan

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Runner beans
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 15:45:27 »
I still have loads of Scarlet Emperor and expect to be picking them to the end off this month,  :)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 15:47:14 »
I'm still picking mine, White Emergo,  but they were late flowering.  Some people have said that it wasn't a bumper crop this year.
Quite a lot of things were early this year. For instance blackberries are already finished but usually we've only just started picking them!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 15:54:36 by Flighty »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

pamsdish

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 15:53:08 »
I started picking mine mid July and i am still picking now, not so big and not so many but still very tasty .They were Armstrong

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 15:59:58 »
I'm all beaned out so I'm leaving those still being produced to dry on the plants for podding and storing dried.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 16:01:02 »
I still have loads of Scarlet E and Lady Di.

My sister lives near Rustington, she does not grow her own veg, but I gave her a squash plant to go in her garden, but it is not doing well as there is so windy down there by the sea.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 16:04:44 »
 Thanks.
 So I don't know what Jean and Peter must have done about theirs, and they usually freeze a lot.

Our runners are just that, runner beans, beans saved from one year to the next. Gerry Specials I suppose. ;-)))))

qahtan

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 16:22:09 »
Still picking mine, even though they've slowed down quite a bit recently - thank goodness! Everyone on our site has had bumper crops this year. Must be the micro-climate, or something - either that or we've got a very hefty water bill waiting for us!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 16:52:33 »
Would still be picking ours if they hadn't blown over :'(
Ours are saved seed
sanity is overated

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 17:27:16 »
Yup still picking them in here. hasn't been a great year for them - a bit on the dry side, but frankly I'm happy not to have too many as they aren't my favourite bean.....

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 17:34:22 »
Mine were slow to start and now have gone mad.   I think I will be picking for another 2-4 weeks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 19:10:56 »
I'm still picking mine, a couple more weeks I reckon.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 19:54:26 »
Still picking here, first beans the first week in July and they have been going ever since. As others have said, slowed down now, but still covered in flowers and should see us through the next 2 weeks till we go away on hols. Love 'em  ;D

richardh5678

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 20:54:53 »
Just started picking mine! disaster after disaster earlier in the year: wet, slugs, more wet, more slugs...  A very late sowing in July just beginning bear fruit.  looking good for the nex couple of weeks.
Richard

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 21:10:30 »
 :D we are freezing them as we have so many,they were slow starters though until we had lots of rain, and I water them every day,

we grow Scarlet Emperor and St George / shades x
grow your own way

annppayne

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 22:45:40 »
Have grown Scarlet Emperor and Painted Lady on separate wigwams.     My allotment is on a hill and is very exposed and so wind has been a problem this year.    I find wigwams are more stable than rows, but the beans are more difficult to find.    Have now learnt to plant them close to the water trough and water them each time I pick, just to show my gratitude.

Have recently fed them with Miracle Grow which has given them a last minute boost.

Ann

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 14:43:55 »
Still going, particularly the later planting- Enorma, Scarlet Emperor and Scarlet Empire.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal