Author Topic: Grated cheese is cheaper per kilo than block cheese!  (Read 7570 times)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Grated cheese is cheaper per kilo than block cheese!
« on: January 29, 2010, 20:21:25 »

Why??????

Ninny

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Grated cheese is cheaper per kilo than block cheese!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 20:55:12 »
That looks good!

I have wondered about the cheese, people sometimes query why I buy it until I tell them it is cheaper!  Perhaps they use all the offcuts so it is cheese that would otherwise be thrown away.  It doesn't make sense when you think it must take up more space when being transported. ???

T.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 21:03:46 »
....and the grating process too Tulipa!  Sell by dates are about the same and the taste is as I would expect from medium cheddar.  Goodness knows why.

Ninny

PS - Thanks, cricket teas for today's lads doesn't seem the same without the sarnies sometimes, but that's what they like! Occasionally I cook them for home in the winter  ;)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 22:11:19 »
....and the grating process too Tulipa!  Sell by dates are about the same and the taste is as I would expect from medium cheddar.

The best before/sell by dates are often the same but pre grated chesse is typically marked 'consume within 3 days after opening' because it doesn't keep. It also contains anti-caking agents such as cellulose microcrystalline(E460) or potato starch which do affect the flavour. Some pre grated cheese contains analogue (cheese substitute) which dramatically affects the flavour despite what the manufacturers say.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 09:42:40 »
....and the grating process too Tulipa!  Sell by dates are about the same and the taste is as I would expect from medium cheddar.

The best before/sell by dates are often the same but pre grated chesse is typically marked 'consume within 3 days after opening' because it doesn't keep. It also contains anti-caking agents such as cellulose microcrystalline(E460) or potato starch which do affect the flavour. Some pre grated cheese contains analogue (cheese substitute) which dramatically affects the flavour despite what the manufacturers say.

why doesn't any of that surprise me?
You couldn't make it up!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 11:36:11 »
A different tack - with Parmesan, which rapidly 'goes off', I get a kilo block of 'the best' stuff & keep it in the freezer, grating as needed.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 17:00:18 »

.......what on earth do they add as a cheese substitute then? :o

Maybe I'll be going back to the blocks!  Freezing and grating as Tim suggests.

Ninny

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 17:11:40 »
I prefer block cheese off the delly everytime.

I used to work on a delly counter and remember this fussy old woman coming in every other day for her 4 oz of mild cheddar, if it was under she would moan, if it was over she'd moan, one day I got it exactly right her mouth was working like a fish out of water, but nothing came out.
Needless to say I never managed to get it so exactly right again  ::)
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 17:33:24 »
.......what on earth do they add as a cheese substitute then? :o
I am not sure what http://www.europeanfoods.co.uk who I linked to earlier use as they do not appear to publish an ingredient list on the site but there is a typical recipe for it here:
http://www.gs-as.com/Admin/Public/DWSDownload.aspx?File=%2FFiles%2FFiler%2FRecipe%2FAnalogue_cheese_GB_02_09.pdf

Virtually every ready meal which should contain cheese will in fact contain analogue with a small percentage of cheese added so that they can list cheese on the description and/or ingredients.

I believe analogue cheese was voted the second most disgusting food in the BBC Three Programme 'Britain's Really Disgusting Food'.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mischief/hot_topics/food.shtml

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 17:41:27 »
I am not sure what http://www.europeanfoods.co.uk who I linked to earlier use as they do not appear to publish an ingredient list on the site but there is a typical recipe for it here:
http://www.gs-as.com/Admin/Public/DWSDownload.aspx?File=%2FFiles%2FFiler%2FRecipe%2FAnalogue_cheese_GB_02_09.pdf

Virtually every ready meal which should contain cheese will in fact contain analogue with a small percentage of cheese added so that they can list cheese on the description and/or ingredients.

I believe analogue cheese was voted the second most disgusting food in the BBC Three Programme 'Britain's Really Disgusting Food'.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mischief/hot_topics/food.shtml

Yuk!!!  ....and they have the cheek to say healthy, I'm not surprised when it's more water that anything else! Defo back to the blocks now, thanks for that Baccy Man.

Ninny

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 17:45:58 »
And me too, thanks Baccy Man. :)

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 18:25:47 »
Pre-grated cheese is rubbish i find it dry and almost powdery, not so bad if its melted but i prefer to buy a block and grate it myself if i need to.

w00dy
Im the gaffer in our house, the missus said i could be.
http://noobveg.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal