Author Topic: roses with hips  (Read 3030 times)

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
roses with hips
« on: October 13, 2004, 18:47:48 »
Looking for a rose bush to plant this Autumn that produces hips. Any suggestions please.
Anne

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re:roses with hips
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 20:45:51 »
Lots produce hips Georgie.  There is one that has lots and they are huge, I think that it is called Rosa Moyensi or something like that.. Im sure the rose experts on here will be able to enlighten you. ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 22:04:46 »
Rosa moyesii has dark red flowers and produces large red bottle shaped hips - rosa moyesii Geranium has brighter red flowers and more orangey coloured hips.  All the varieties of Rosa Rugosa produce large tomato shaped (and coloured) hips.

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 09:25:43 »
Thanks Mimi and Hugh for your reply.
I had actually looked in the David Austen catalogue at the Rosa Moyessi Geranium and thought it looked lovely.I am interested to see what others had to say before spending.
anne

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 12:49:38 »
Be warned, it can grow into quite a large bush

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 10:19:28 »
Thankyou Hugh.
The Rosa Moyessi geranium will be to big for the area of garden i had in mind. I am wanting a smaller bushier type rose bush with hips, to fit in with grasses sedums and achillea for Autumn colour.
Any ideas?
Regards Anne

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 15:08:15 »
Hello, Anne!  :)
Last week's Weekend magazine that came with the Daily Mail has a whole section devoted to berries and hips. Here's what Monty Don had to say:
RUGOSAS = tomato-like hips (I have these - pinched a few hips from a hedge, plonked them on top of a pot of compost, and they grew into 4' high bushes, but you could prune them to keep them smaller)
SCHARLACHGLUT (pardon me!) = black gobstoppers
DOG ROSES = oval aniseed balls
PIMPINELLIFOLIA = black hips (I have this one, very jabby)
CANTABRIGIENSIS = small orange dangles (?!?)
WILLMOTTIAE. R.MOYESII Geranium = waisted orange flagons
Hope this is of some help to you. Try putting in your requirements into Google and see what it comes up with!

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 20:43:10 »
It is very diffiocult to  keep Rosa Rugosa and its varieties below 4ft - pruning back established bushes simply results in more growths. I have several varieties (as well as the type) and all make 5ft or more before the end of the season.

The Dog Rose will happily throw up 6 - 8ft growths in one season, and again pruning back simple encourages it - with the added disadvantage that it suckers in all directions at the slightest provocation.

R. Pimpinellifolia is the Burnet or Scotch rose. Its normal height is 3 ft, and it spreads to 4ft or more. It`s a b*gger to prune.

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 13:08:17 »
Thanks again Spurdie and Hugh for the info. Have looked at the catalogues again and i think i will plump for;
     R. Pimpinellifolia "Robbie Burns"
     a white and pink rose which will grow 5ft by  4ft. It has mahogany hips and will fit the space well.
Anne

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 18:02:38 »
Anne
Dinna bend ower beside it while you're digging ... it'll tear yer breeks!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal