Author Topic: Plum tree from stone - photo  (Read 8402 times)

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Plum tree from stone - photo
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 10:57:58 »
yes that did look achievable. 
how would one (complete novice) go about choosing a rootstock and where from?
She said that the top  part (sine?) had to be in bud so presumable this is a spring job.

i think i might have a go.
isnt youtube great.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 11:29:07 »
If you follow my link to Blackmoor they have rootstocks and I'm sure other fruit growers have too. They also explain which rootstocks to use for the type and size of tree you want.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 14:01:50 »
I am definatley going to give that a go. Good job I have learned patience in my old age (one of the many benefits of gardening I think).
Thats a useful tip about the tin can thifasmom.  ;)

in the West Indies to restrict the height of a tree that will grow to gigantic heights taking the desired fruit out of reach, we chop the apex off when it gets to the desired height and cover it with a tin more to stop rot setting in through the cut top.

we do it to mango trees, paw paw plants, avocado etc.

Thanks for that tip, I'll get Colin to sort out HIS tree!

no probs i look forward to the day i would see tree after tree in the UK with tin cans on teir old apex tip ;) will make feel like i'm back home :).

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 14:23:11 »
no probs i look forward to the day i would see tree after tree in the UK with tin cans on teir old apex tip ;) will make feel like i'm back home :).
I suppose that once we've cut the apex, we will need to trim the lower branches every year?

What do you miss most about Trinidad?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 16:42:21 »
no probs i look forward to the day i would see tree after tree in the UK with tin cans on their old apex tip ;) will make feel like I'm back home :).
I suppose that once we've cut the apex, we will need to trim the lower branches every year?

What do you miss most about Trinidad?

gosh where do i start :-\.

gardening wise would be the ability to grow the foods i really like easily and not have to get to grips with four seasons our two are much simpler (dry and wet :)), it is a steep learning curve learning to grow in the UK's short growing season. i also really miss our tropical fruits a lot :'( and as you are well aware if they are exported they are generally picked green but full and ripened on the way, IE they never taste right so for the most part i don't bother (you would not like to see our family [approx 14 plus when we all get together] greet someone who has either returned from a holiday back home or who has come up to holiday here who has Trini food in their cases - lots of begging, bargaining cajoling, blackmailing, you name it to get a little bit of a taste of home ;D ;D)

and yes the lower branches are normally trimmed approx once a year back home as well, it also encourages more fruiting buds to develop on the fruit trees as well.

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 00:35:27 »
well done squash and hubby, that is a great result

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal