Author Topic: scaffold netting  (Read 2391 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
scaffold netting
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:15:55 »
I have seen previous posts about this and looked up on ebay. I have a couple of questions though which I hope someone can help me with. The one I am looking at (3m by 50m) says it has eyehole in the middle to help with pegging it down. Does this mean down the length of the material? I dont want holes there as this will presumably allow butterflies in?

Second question - does the fabric fray when you cut it? I am not very keen on sewing so any easy routes to this appreciated!

Hope someone out there has brought it and can help me out. Thanks

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: scaffold netting
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:02:13 »
Hi Gwynleg,

Yes the netting does have 2 lines of holes all the way along the 50 metres, sorry.  I have sown them up as Duke luckily told me about it, someone near her on our allotment site hadn't sown up the holes and had a few cabbage whites inside the netting so she knew all about it.  It doesn't take too long on the machine, just one long seam if you have access to one.

It doesn't seem to fray but while I was at it I made channels to stick canes in down the sides to help weight it down a bit, these have been really useful.

Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news.

I bought 50m from here earlier in the year

http://www.tarpaulins-togo.co.uk/category-69/Debris-Netting.html

and have used loads and sold some on to others on our allotment site and could have sold more...  It's brilliant stuff.

Good luck

T.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 22:15:16 »
Useful link!..... Will be handy for more thaan just the lottie too.... though will prolly see first service on there making fruit/brassica cages out of scaffolding .....

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 22:25:03 »
Just added to Favourites so I can put some on my Christmas List...  :)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 22:58:50 »
Stock up on proper metal tent pegs too (half price in Wilko's at the mo') and wind them twice round the holes before burying. I found the black plastic netting pegs went brittle last year and the debris netting went awol in places  ;)

Linda

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:23:25 »
I haven't had any problems with fraying and 2nd the tent pegs to hold it down properly  :D
Thanks for the link Tulipa - also now in my faves

doglover

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 21:29:07 »
my brassicas have been attacked by caterpillars although I covered them with netting. The butterflies still managed to get in. Is there any sprays to stop them hatching.

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 00:54:39 »
I use old bed frames and staple the fabric to them to make a nice, tidy box.   ;D
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 07:32:55 »
can someone post the link please. I'd like to have a go at this. Lost all my carrot this year to carrot fly :'( and have just planted my brassicas from Dobie's so would like to protect them.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 07:37:00 »
Welcome to A4A Doglover...
There was a bacillus you could spray (Thurigensis (?) sp) but I never knew where you got it and I've seen a Nemasys product but I've not used it... be interested to know how good it is...
If I never see another caterpillar it will be too soon... my brassica patch is the Lepidoptery (?sp) equivalent of the Somme... I've spent an hour squishing five days this last week and every time I look there is another wave.. it's a war of attrition and I'm loosing the will to live.. I've given up checking the Nasturtiums..  :'(

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 07:40:22 »
I saw a netting link to "tarpaulinstogo"...
but I can't find it now
 :-X
http://www.tarpaulins-togo.co.uk/category-69/Debris-Netting.html
 It was higher up this page ...  :-[

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 07:42:46 »
Thanks saddad
 I'll keep looking.

aggie

• Half Acre