Author Topic: had a terrible year on lottie hopefully my new greenhouse will change this  (Read 3332 times)

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde
I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!

I have been given a greenhouse 16' x 6' (odd dimensions I know). I go look at it tomo and then I have the task of dismantling it!!!

My year on lottie has been miserable but then I only have windowsill to start off my seedling and I can only  grow outdoor toms and cucumbers so i am soooooo excited that in Feb I TOO CAN START MY SEEDLINGS!! WUP WUP!!

OMG this will make such a difference....I feel like i have been given 2 more seasons to grow in!!

Any words of wisdom for the set up?  I dont know whether to have 2 borders or 1 to be honest i dont even know if there is staging with it?

I have never owned a real greenhouse before....when can i start growing in the calender year? what do people start to grow first oh my word this is sooo exciting

Am I sad???

Answers on a postcard please ;D

FGX

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
YAYYYY! A Woman of Property! 8) I remember that feeling SO well - and I'd only been gifted a 6'x4' 'house ;D

(and how can someone be 'sad' when they're grinning like the Cheshire Cat?) ::)

Have fun and good luck with the dismantling/reassembling.

Lishka

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Hi there :)

Take lots of photos of your greenhouse before taking it apart!!! Believe me they will come in useful. Also a marker pen to label framework and glass etc. We were given a greenhouse through Freecycle this year and have not regretted it. It was a lot of hard work as our one had been unused for a long time and all the glass panes were covered in algae.

Good luck with yours
Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

cleo

• Hectare
That`s a good sized greenhouse-plenty of room for borders and staging.

But heed the advice about taking it apart and do not skimp on the base/foundation.

The work you put in to getting it securely positioned in it`s new home will save posible problems later.

And welcome to a whole new world of growing ;D

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Happy you!! Echo what the others have said: take your time deciding on the site & orientation (Don't put the door where the prevailing wind rushes in, for example!) and make sure the foundations are spot-on level (I put in stakes and fixed "sleepers" to them and made sure it was level & square before I went any further.) and take your time erecting it and fitting the panes. It's going to be there for a long time!

Why not make the inside flexible? If it's only 6' wide, you might be able to squeeze in a central path & 2 borders; if you build a wall along the edges of the path, you can fill in - on a temporary basis if necessary - with aggregate as you need. Staging can easily be made or bought, and if you have it in short sections, you can move it about, or even remove it completely in the summer. Experiment as you go along and you'll come up with different ideas and arrangements.

Have fun!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Lucky you its great having a greenhouse. I'd go for growing in the border soil, get plenty of manure in and you'll get much better crops and you don't have to water every day.

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde
Hi guys....well it gets better!!! The greenhouse is old (30 years) but its in great condition.  I say THE green house, its actually 2 6' x 8' greenhouses attached together.

The doors are sliding doors with automatic windows.  Its absolutely fab because the previous owner (god rest his soul) has divided the green house into 2 compartments.  One protected by bubble wrap is used as a heated part of the green house. (heater included!!) the other is a cold greenhouse. There is a sliding door separating them.  He has also constructed 2 meshed doors that slot in so that during the summer no visitors like cats can get in.  I also get a decent sized soil heater, an electric heater, tons of hanging baskets pots and bubble wrap!!!

Its going to take forever I think to dismantle.  I think i will build on breeze blocks as my allotment is on a bit of a slop...and I am skint so seems the cheaper option...what do you think? :-\

This greenhouse has a sentimental value to me too, it is my old neighbours fathers.  He was a really keen gardener, one of the old traditional ones. Grew tomatoes to die for and roses so beautiful that they would make you weep.  He passed away recently and his lovely wife thought of me when she decided to get rid of it.  I was really moved, and have decided to name the greenhouse Reg's Den  :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
what a lovely gift and a great incentive to keep on trying, can't let old Reg down now can you ;)

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
Flowergirl
Echo thifamom's sentiments. How kind of your neighbours' Mum. I feel this will truly be a success for you and that the gentlman who previously owned it will be watching over you with satisfaction knowing his work is being carried on. Good luck in all you try.
J

70fingers

• Half Acre
Can understand your excitement Flowergirl, I got my first greenhouse this year and it is Fab!!!

Breeze blocks is a great idea for the base!!

I know when I dismantled mine, I had to buy lots of the bolts/nuts as these snapped when I was taking it apart (wilkos do small packs), also buy some spare glass clips.

Would be interesting to hear  how you get on in terms of what you grow in it as I am still learning myself - had a great crop of tomatoes, peppers etc.

Good luck!!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
If you have to buy replacement clips etc check online as the small packs in Wilkos work out quite pricy if you end up needing a lot.The OH has reclaimed several greenhouses for lottie mates and he said his one piece of advice would be Get you base level everything else hinges on that. How lovely to inherit such a splendid gift  I'm sure Reg will be remebered everytime you walk through the door :)
sanity is overated

Hyacinth

• Hectare
How lovely to inherit such a splendid gift  I'm sure Reg will be remebered everytime you walk through the door :)

Mrs. Reg, too, will get so much comfort out of knowing that his beloved 'house is being treasured by you, I'm sure.  :)

So looking forward now to reading about the relocation. Hope all goes well. Lots of expert house movers here to advise. 8)

All the v.v.best,

Lishka

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Spreading the joy, my brother is re-doing his back garden shed layout this autumn/winter so I'll be getting his old 8x6 for my lottie.....aubergines, peppers and a proper crack at a big onion I think...... anyone know where I can get some pips from?

chrisc

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
I'm angling for a derelict 8x6... just to put up over my Echium to help it through the winter and take it down when it hits the roof!!  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal