Author Topic: Broccoli and sprouts  (Read 1689 times)

hyacinth_1

• Not So New ...
Broccoli and sprouts
« on: August 31, 2009, 21:34:30 »
Hello everyone, I am new on this site. Earlier this year my hubby grew trayfuls of sprouts and brocoli.  The broccoli I put into the allotment garden where it all died. The sprouts did not even have a chance to get to the garden they died in the trays. The rest of the vegetables never flinched and grew great.  Have we done something wrong in putting them as seedlings then moving them on into the garden and anyone know why the sprouts died - the seeds were good ones. thanks in advance.   ::)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Broccoli and sprouts
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 21:43:29 »
Hello Hyacinth ;D

I'd reckon if you seeded into shallow seed trays, that might account for the total failure cos they both put down long roots. I seed both into pots to avoid them being taken by slugs, but I need to pot them on a couple of times for that root growth before they're finally planted out. But I don't have an allotment, just my garden, and I don't grow many.

Might this be the reason?

Lishka

(aka Hyacinth - THE Bukkit Lady) ;D

oops sorry, was so excited to be legitimately talking to myself without fear of the men in white coats knocking at the door, I forgot to say Welcome!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 22:22:18 »
Probably better off with toilet-roll tubes stuck into modules or root-trainers ... into longish pots or a nursery bed as soon as you have them up properly. How many sprouts do you need?..... grow a couple of the old tall varieties that crops over a decent period and you should only need a dozen and a half plants total for two or three pickings aweek from the first frosts till spring for the average family....

chrisc

hyacinth_1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 21:22:47 »
Hello again all thanks for answering so quickly. Yes my hubby planted both of them in the inch high trays, so I wil know now to try starting them off in bigger pots before transplanting into garden. Thanks again.
Did you mean I can still grow sprouts for the winter or do you mean try next year. I went to Dobies today and bought some winter growing broccoli, but I beleive it is not the green one (something like kale) 6 grown plants for a fiver.
Nice to meet another Hyacinth.
Have ben promised some early potatoes to put in soon, when wil they be ready - I know early.  ;D

Thanks again Jude

Buster54

• Acre
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Pomona

• Not So New ...

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 17:24:10 »
I recommend checking out Delfland Organic Nurseries to see if they have any of their August seedlings still available. I've found them helpful in the past (I nearly always forget to sow something) and with good quality seedlings

http://www.organicplants.co.uk/

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 17:34:10 »
6 Grown plants for a fiver take a look at this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VEGETABLE-PLUGS-ON-EBAY-40-MIXED-PLUGS-ONLY-3-95_W0QQitemZ130323331634QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN?hash=item1e57e03a32&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Have you tried these? Are they any good? I could do with filling in a few gaps
[/quote

Received some this morning they are crap,they don't look as healthy as the pics,looks like they should have been planted in the ground 4 weeks ago
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 18:28:52 »
Hello Hyacinth ;D

I'd reckon if you seeded into shallow seed trays, that might account for the total failure cos they both put down long roots. I seed both into pots to avoid them being taken by slugs, but I need to pot them on a couple of times for that root growth before they're finally planted out. But I don't have an allotment, just my garden, and I don't grow many.

Might this be the reason?

I bet that fair shocked daint it Lishka ;D ;D ;D
Lishka

(aka Hyacinth - THE Bukkit Lady) ;D

oops sorry, was so excited to be legitimately talking to myself without fear of the men in white coats knocking at the door, I forgot to say Welcome!
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal