Author Topic: Shelby  (Read 2770 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Shelby
« on: July 30, 2009, 09:28:01 »
So sad when we lose our loved pets. Shelby was my son's dog. She was 12.1/2.  On Monday my daughter-in-law told me she hadn't been well for a few days. Tuesday evening they took her to the vets, they did an ultra sound scan and found she had fluid stomach tumour. They said she was too old to operate so they had the awful decision to have her put to sleep. They said she wouldn't last much longer. The only consolation was that she was only ill for a very short time. My son and daughter-in-law are in bits. Here is a photo of Shelby taken in June this year. My son said she didn't think much of part of the garden being ruined as they were preparing to put a conservatory  up.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Shelby
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 09:29:41 »
Sad news Lorna.So sorry.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:57:52 »
it's a shame, Lorna..much better than letting her suffer  :-\

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:39:29 »
I cried and cried when I had to have my dog put to sleep, still think about him sometimes, he was a good friend for many years.  One good memory was when next door's little girl was eating an ice cream and just going up the front path and Basil (my alastian) lent over the wall and ate the ice cream in one gulp.  Obviously had to apologise and buy her another ice cream, but luckily mum and child thought it funny and still talk about it to this day.  I always say 'no more animals' but then change my mind.  I do know how you feel as animals put so much trust in us, that is why we have to make these decisions when they are ill as we can't let them suffer.  Well I am off to do some digging before I get upset about Basil and that must have been 15 years ago.  I do know how you feel but remember the good times.

lillylottie

• Quarter Acre
  • leo
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 21:55:31 »
iam so very sorry for you and your family.they give us so much love when they are here and it is so very hard when we have to say good by to them. :'( :'( :'( :'(

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 22:05:55 »
Beautifully put lilly, so sorry to hear about shelby  :'(

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 22:30:49 »
My son said today the bungalow is so quiet, but they are so glad she didn't suffer too long. Thanks for your thoughts.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 09:48:29 »
The good thing about this Lorna is that we can let our pets go humanely when there is no hope and we don't have to watch them suffering. It is hard to let them go but it is the right thing to do. They have given the dog a happy life and must have lovely memories of her.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 18:56:13 »
Yes you are so right Shirl. John was telling me yesterday that the little Jack Russell next door keeps running up and down the chain link fence and yapping waiting for Shelby to come out. I know cost doesn't come in to it but we were surprised at the low cost of the Vets bill, including cremation. Now that makes a change.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:06:47 »
what a beautiful dog and how lucky your son was to have her, its the really sad part of keeping pets but i wouldnt be without them for the world

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 21:35:03 »
Do you know debster she was one of the ugliest GS puppies I have ever seen. She was 14 weeks old when John got her. The people got rid of the Mother, Father and puppies!!  She certainly turned out a cracker. After the rawness of losing her I can't see my son being without a dog for long. Throughout their 27 years of marriage they have always had dogs. He was so used to having dogs GS's and Labs when he was at home.

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 20:19:53 »

I am so sorry,  qahtan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal