Author Topic: runner bean-beans  (Read 1012 times)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
runner bean-beans
« on: August 29, 2009, 19:13:27 »
Sadly the wind demolished our runners last night so today we took them down,we picked all the beans and many were huge and inedible as runners and i wondered if we could pod them as beans and if so any suggestions for recipes :)
sanity is overated

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: runner bean-beans
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 20:07:54 »
I save the big uns to use for seed next year.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 20:41:30 »
Beans need to dry in the pod on the vine and any attempt to keep them now will end in disappointment as they will rot.

I am afraid that there is not much you can do if you have pulled them up.

If it happens in future years, slide the canes off where they have broken and construct a makeshift support using the broken canes to keep them off the ground. This will allow the beans to dry naturally to be stored and used for seed or eaten after soaking overnight.

They can be used in any recipe where beans are needed and need plenty of cooking.

http://www.allaboutallotments.com/index.html

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 21:17:14 »
the de-podded beans make a great stew on their own (if you have enough) or added to any meaty stew. the texture is smooth and the taste is delicious, tried it last year yum.

cook as you would any legume stew, as a guide look for a  borlotto bean recipe and substitute. i cooked the the freshley podded beans for forty to forty five minutes.

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 23:15:36 »
I'm a big fan of fresh runner bean beans, prefer them to runners to be honest. Just shell them and bung them in a dish.

If you want to store them in future, you need to let them dry out fully on the plant.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal