Poll

how many of you could take your animal to slaughter?

yes
21 (60%)
no
14 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: could you kill your animal for the pot  (Read 5079 times)

simmo116

• Acre
could you kill your animal for the pot
« on: August 29, 2009, 17:48:27 »
me and the missus are divided as i would'nt have a problem but she "no way hosay!"

steve76

• Acre
Re: could you kill your animal for the pot
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 17:52:47 »
IF you raised them for that reason than not a problem.... IF its a pet that you now want to put in the pot that could coarse problems.... :-\

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 17:57:25 »
I have so much respect for people who could do it but I think I'd have to be a vegetarian .Having watched Hugh FW rearing those lovely pigs even the lure of crackling ,and believe me that's one of my favourite foods, couldn't persuade me.Still glad I've got a good butcher :)
sanity is overated

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 18:18:05 »
If you eat meat & the animal isn't a pet, then I can't see any grounds for objection.

My only concern would be that the creature was dispatched quickly & humanely; if you aren't confident you'd be able to do that, then get someone experienced and/or licenced to do it for you, or leave well alone.

You'd never guess I was a vegetarian, would you?  :D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 18:23:34 »
sorry, meant to say yes to taking them to slaughter but no to killing myself..I think, if we eat meat, why should someone else have to have the responsibility of rearing it for us, if we had the room, I'd rear all my own

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 18:47:34 »
Nope, I'm a veggie, no need to eat meat in my book. Even when our laying chickens get too old to lay, they'll have a nice retirement to say thanks for all the eggs!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 19:36:49 »
You treat them as dinner on the hoof, not as pets, and it's not a problem.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 19:45:54 »

Think I could if in a '' rearing livestock ''  environment,  just wouldn't look 'em

in the eye,  head down good food, TLC,  and the best life , -------   now if it was in my back

garden and I only had one of each , Pig - chicken and a sheep / goat ie.,    very , very

difficult !      :-\
Hertfordshire,   south east England

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 19:55:58 »
We had goats and chickens in the back garden and we ate them. Same as people used to keep a pig.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 21:07:12 »
 My parents raised pigs, goats, lambs, chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, and rabbits when I was younger, they all tasted nice! (even the ones my sisters named) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 21:13:53 »
Snap...  :)

Al37

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 22:58:34 »
In my opinion its a case of rearing the animal, be it chicken, pig, turkey, or whatever in the best possible way.
At the point you decide to take its life ask yourself one question, Has this animal had the best life it could possibly of had.
At that point if you are happy that you have given that animal everything it needed and it has had a good life then kill it.
BUT, only do it if you can make a clean job of it. Its very easy to half strangle a chicken and therefore leave the poor thing in agony before its death.
If you can't make a quick kill then get someone who can.
Afterall there is no point in rearing an animal for the pot and giving it a good life if its going to have a horrible death.
Just my two peneth worth :-\
Al

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 10:36:31 »
Absoloutley without question.  My hens are for producing eggs, not for pets.  OH won't eat our own though....
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 06:08:23 »
I used to keep rabbits, geese, ducks, pigs,goats and chickens. They all ended up in the pot. The only thing I did not kill myself was the pigs and goats, which a neighbour (ex-slaughterman) humanely did for me. I would help him but was not capable of giving them an instant death.

I understand that nowadays larger animals have to go to a registered slaughterhouse and the only fresh meat I get now is from my fishing.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 17:36:53 »
Despite, or perhaps because of, early life on a pig farm, I might have trouble with pigs (they're really social and quite bright) but the rest wouldn't be a problem.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 19:38:15 »
i have no problem at all dispatching any live stock i have kept  be it for food or to put it out of its suffering  atb mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 21:29:44 »
No problem here, have reared pigs, sheep and 2 year old bullocks for the pot
Only killed by experienced slaughtermen. Just wish I could get meat that would taste as good.

Sueste

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 17:15:54 »
We dispatched and killed our first 5 Ducks and a thingy at the weekend. What a fantastic meal we had, and some for the freezer. We have no problem with what we did as we know they had a very good life. More that you can say for a £3 tesco chicken.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 17:20:59 »
Hiya, sueste..welcome to a4a  ;D

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 18:23:50 »
 from  1944 - 1947     WW11 and rationing, my mum had a restaurant near Gatwick Airport, and we always had  Ducks, about 200 chickens, sheep, pigs etc. and Mr Morrison would come round when required and slaughter whatever mum wanted done..........
 Even in the restaurant food was very limited, but my  mum old bless her did her bit to the war effort.

The boys from Gatwick always had the best meal possible. mind you it was the ilega
to kill your livestock ie pig etc if you did you had to give half to the ministry of food.
 but not my mum, she had her own rules.
 But as long as the said animal is killed humainly then thats OK. qahtan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal