Author Topic: Gardeners World  (Read 6133 times)

non-stick

• Half Acre
Re: Gardeners World
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 16:49:29 »
I gave up on it - too many zany camera angles, blurring in and out and superficial content. I was going downhill towards the end of Monty's stint when, I think, a new director took over. Half the time you can't see what's going on as they're focussing on the wrong thing. I have no issue with going back to basics but no need to turn it into cbeebies

And Alys is dreadful.

labrat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 17:50:04 »
Part of the problem is the BBC's obsession with youth. There used to be more older and experienced gardeners on GW now there a 3 regular (not counting Carol), relatively young gardeners/designers whose combined experience still falls short of Percy Thrower's years in the field.

Just look at Beechgrove that has Jim McColl (another stalwart over the decades). Also Carole Baxter who has been with the show for many many years both behind and in front of the camera. Not forgetting Don the head gardener behind the scenes who from all accounts is a vicious martinet to 'doing the job properly.'

I have to say that I have a good opinion of Toby Buckland but based mainly on his writing in magazines. He appears to dumb down when on TV. Monty Don was a mistake from start to finish. I'd pay good money to see the back of Joe Swift.

In its current form GW is a complete waste of time and license fee.

cheerfulness

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 18:52:50 »
I'm a new convert to Beechgrove Garden since I caught my first episode on iplayer.  :)

Have to agree with the poster that liked Geoff Hamilton, too. Was only just getting into gardening when he died. Would love to have watched more of him and I borrow my mum's books all the time.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 19:27:07 »
Geoff Hamilton and Felicity Kendal have inspired my gardening in equal measure.  Before Geoff, GW was for the aspiring middle classes in their suburban semis, with rose borders and spring bedding, and it had changed very little since the war.  Geoff Hamilton (and Bob Flowerdew, and Anne Swithinbank) blew that away.  For me Geoff's greatest contribution was that he encouraged me to think about gardening - my garden could be what I wanted it to be, and not what fashion and conformity dictated.  He was also a modest bloke who did much to raise awareness of environmental issues before it had become tiresomely trendy.

Overnight Titmarsh undid all the good Geoff Hamilton had done and turned GW into just another personality cult reality gameshow for the obscenely affluent and privileged.

Whatever they get up to, it has nothing in common with what I call gardening.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 19:36:32 »
I have switched to Beechgrove Garden as it more of a real gadening programme than GW.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 20:01:38 »
I'm hooked, I have just watched Beechgrove on BBC iPlayer and agree that it is streets ahead of GW.

The knowledgeable presenters are not acting up to the camera and the information is relevant and interesting, they are happy to show failures and try to explain why they failed. My knowledge is based on how things went wrong and how I learned from my mistakes and failures.

Now I have got to try and get the preceding programmes!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 20:09:12 »
I love Alan Titchmarsh in fact I have one of the first allotment books he wrote and we use it all of the time. Its a very basic book full of easy to understand instructions. But then I am a very simple person ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 21:30:49 »
Now I have got to try and get the preceding programmes!

That's a lot of viewing!  In 1982 I moved next door to the Beechgrove Garden which at that time was filmed from the garden of the TV studio in Aberdeen city centre.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 21:33:16 »
I love Alan Titchmarsh too, but he is married and has 'got out of his pram' since he was on afternoon T.V.

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 21:43:34 »
I think Gardeners World has been ruined by the producers. They dictate what goes in and I think they waste what talent they have. Carol Klein knows her stuff but all she is able to do is simple stuff. I went to a composters conference at Ryton and Alys Fowler sat at my lunch table cause she was giving a talk there. Yes she is a sweety but she has a good background in gardening - Wisley and New York Botanic Gardens. She is very down to earth and funny and not into being a celebrity. She is into the environment, composting and growing veg and is involved with getting her local community involved. But she doesn't do much of that on the programme. The programme is far too trite. Surely there is a need for a programme that will tell people what to do each week with regard to growing their own food. That is not catered for and yet there are loads of new gardeners out there who want to be told what to do.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 21:53:27 »
who want to be told what to do.

I lot of people on our site have realised they need a bit of help with growing for succession. 

annppayne

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 23:24:43 »
I am impressed that 'allaboutliverpool' is impressed by Beechgrove.   It is a real endorsement having seen his website.

I have signed up for the Beechgrove newsheets and have already received 2 e-mail responses from the website.

Had wondered...........is it me?   But evidently it is not, there's a lot of us out there.

Best wishes, Ann

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 23:35:03 »
Have put Beechgrove in the sky planner ready to have a look at on wednesday. Just going to have a look at their website. Why dont they repeat gw with Geoff Hamilton im sure things havent changed that much.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 00:32:33 »
Why dont they repeat gw with Geoff Hamilton im sure things havent changed that much.

They used to - until recently, May 2009 I think,  on UKTV Gardens.

But the powers that be decided,  (bowing to popular demand ?? ??) to scrap that and replace it with the Home Channel (Bargain Hunt/Hash in the Attic/Ground Force).

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2009, 00:53:54 »
It was probably on a time i couldnt watch then.  To busy to watch much telly. Wouldnt have one if i had my way. Just waiting for everyone to leave home  lol!!

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2009, 22:36:02 »
I don't like Carol Klein at all, I'm afraid.

Toby is excellent. He gives clear instructions.

I can see why the more experienced gardener would not like the show, but for the newcomer like me it is enjoyable.

(I must admit, though, thatI record it and fast-forward through the silly 'Look at me, I'm a millionaire and this is my garden' segments)

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 12:54:16 »

In terms of content style, Gardeners World TV is the same as Gardeners World magazine and any other magazine/newspaper - take the bits that you enjoy, bin the rest. We all like different things.

If the cost exceeds the value of the bits you enjoy, don't buy/watch.

I like to see other peoples gardens for design/planting ideas, some of Carols stuff is ok, but most of it is repetitious (maybe thats the point - to show there are only a handfull of propagation methods). Most of the veg stuff I skip - I don't need to know how to sow carrots/pots/salads etc.

We're all different.

For me the value is marginal, but I still keep watching because of habit (and the crap thats on the other channels).

labrat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2009, 13:45:52 »

If the cost exceeds the value of the bits you enjoy, don't buy/watch.

Except that you're required by law to buy a TV license even if you never watch the BBC. If you take the ultimate choice of no TV then you face years of harassment from TV licensing. Ultimately there's no choice.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 14:36:44 »
I watch Beechgrove Garden too....its all set up on Sky + ! Much more enjoyable than Gardeners World

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 15:21:40 »
I watch GW and enjoy it. Alys is rather nice too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal