Author Topic: Gardeners World  (Read 6169 times)

annppayne

• Not So New ...
Gardeners World
« on: August 28, 2009, 21:43:33 »
Watched BBC Gardeners World this evening.   

Who plans these programmes?   They are obviously not gardeners.     Not a lot of real information content.      In the past when I viewed this programme, at the end I felt inspired to get out in the garden and allotment and practice what I had learned.   It has spurred me on to greater efforts.    But not recently.   

And to be left with the message ............. try and get out into the garden for half an hour this weekend................ to pick runner and french beans and courgettes !!   who is their "target audience" - obviously not me.

Am I alone in this ?

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Gardeners World
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 21:49:36 »
Always used to watch it but gave up earlier this year!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 21:55:45 »
Always used to watch it but gave up earlier this year!

Me too flighty.  I happened to see it tonight for the first time since they moved to the new garden and remembered why I stopped watching it.  Shame, I used to look forward to it.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 21:57:02 »
As a long term member of the NO TV brigade I'm glad I don't know what I'm not missing...  :-X

trickydiggy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 22:43:21 »
bring back monty!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 00:29:24 »
bring back monty!
no no no Geoff Hamilton he was a real gardener
sanity is overated

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 03:08:53 »
no no no Geoff Hamilton he was a real gardener

No he wasn't.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 06:22:06 »
Someone along the lines of Geoffrey Smith

royforster

• Not So New ...
  • Gardening in SW France
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 09:27:32 »
I agree that GW is very frustrating to watch. If you've got satellite TV there is a much better weekly programme on BBC Scotland called Bechgrove Garden.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 10:12:35 »
I have not watched it for sometime.  Used to be a favourite.  Thought they might bring back Geoffrey Smiths World when he died but I think they must have lost it.

Not long ago I described it as BIll and Ben the flowerpot men, my opinion has not changed.

Its thanks to Georffrey Smith that I rarely have more than the odd broad bean plant with black fly.

shonam

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 10:25:59 »
I was also disappointed with GW on Friday - very vague and little I could actually put to use in my garden. 

I definitely agree with Roy that you should try and catch the Beechgrove Garden - Wednesdays at 7.30pm on channel 971 on Sky.  You can also catch it on the iPlayer. :)

I like the Beechgrove as they seem to have a good mix of features - fruit and veg, flowers, wildlife gardening, plant and product trials...

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 10:57:34 »
I was also disappointed with GW on Friday - very vague and little I could actually put to use in my garden. 

I definitely agree with Roy that you should try and catch the Beechgrove Garden - Wednesdays at 7.30pm on channel 971 on Sky.  You can also catch it on the iPlayer. :)

I like the Beechgrove as they seem to have a good mix of features - fruit and veg, flowers, wildlife gardening, plant and product trials...

Thanks I have put it to record on Sky+   ;D

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 15:37:19 »
I think the consensus is that GW has been "dumbed down" by giving it a touchy-feely style and forgetting that a degree of gravitas is appreciated by a large part of the population.
Even Bob Flowerdew contributed ideas that were helpful and unusual (and cheap).

The GW team seem to be able to plant £1000 worth of plants at the drop of a hat, dig and stock a lake, and of course, work from an orangery when they should be showing what can be done cheaply and using a 6x8 greenhouse.

Breaking off to admire 20 acre gardens in other parts of the country is also not very helpful or interesting, if it was the BBC would launch separate programs-
I suggest the following breakaway programs which would get no audience-

Other Peoples Huge Gardens.
Gardening for Tiny Tots.
Carol Splits More Perennials
Gardening for Millionaires.

Tomorrows World followed a similar path until it was axed.

http://allaboutallotments.com/index.html

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 16:00:52 »
I definitely agree with Roy that you should try and catch the Beechgrove Garden - Wednesdays at 7.30pm on channel 971 on Sky.  You can also catch it on the iPlayer. :)   I like the Beechgrove as they seem to have a good mix of features - fruit and veg, flowers, wildlife gardening, plant and product trials...

I LOVE the Beechgrove Garden for two reasons - one, the presenters are obviously gardeners and know their stuff and two, their timescales are more realistic for me living in Ayrshire - most of what happens in GW could well be happening on the moon for all the relevance or information I can use.

Meg

Mullein

• Not So New ...
    • Hedgerow Hippy
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 19:51:24 »
I miss Monty. And Carol - she doesn't get enough to do this series. I like Joe and Alice seems ok but this 'banter' nonsense they've got her doing with the eejit boy does my head in. Toby (eejit boy) is clearly a garden designer not a gardener. Its more like Blue Peter than Gardeners World - i hate the new show and have stopped watching. 

annppayne

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 20:39:09 »
Thank you for all your responses.    I thought it might be me getting old and grumpy, but those who responded seem to agree with me.

If the BBC saw this thread would they be interested, and would they change things.

I am not adverse to change, but the fact that this programme had been so popular with gardeners over the years and now is losing its core audience, should mean that the innovation has not been a success.

Best wishes, Ann

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 20:48:46 »
Ann I think that the BBC are well aware of what many people think of Gardeners' World as the BBC Gardening message boards have had plenty of similar comments over the past few months.
As to what, if anything, they'll do in the future remains to be seen. Sad to say I'd be surprised if they make few, if any changes.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

annppayne

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 21:39:35 »
I have just watched the Beechgrove programme on iPlayer and its great.

Thank you Roy and others for suggesting it.   Have added the site to my Favourites and will be watching from now on.

In fact I will watch it on Friday evenings instead of GW.

Best wishes Ann

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 21:50:44 »
For all the Beechgrove converts:

http://www.thebeechgrovegarden.com/index_new.php

Details of upcoming episodes & factsheets summarising those gone by. ;) It doesn't cover the Radio Scotland phone in show, but that's on iPlayer...

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 21:12:44 »
I like it.

This is the first series I've watched so can't compare it with 'past glories'.

Sure, it's a bit light and fluffy, but I don't wish to be lectured to.

Plus, Alys is a sweetheart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal