Author Topic: Insulation  (Read 2277 times)

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
Insulation
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:08:32 »
This is my first year with my new greenhouse and I want to grow lettuce, radish etc. during the winter.  I have made up my mind about the heater (I have power in the greenhouse so I will use a thermostat elec heater) but I am not sure what kind of insulation I should use.  Is bubble wrap the best or does anyone have other suggestions.

Meg

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
Re: Insulation
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 12:38:42 »
Bump ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 12:44:30 »
Bubble wrap is good... are you near the coast? If so you should get away without... if you grow specifically Winter lettuce...  :)

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 15:14:03 »
Bubble wrap is good... are you near the coast? If so you should get away without... if you grow specifically Winter lettuce...  :)

Thanks for coming back to me Saddad - I am less than a mile from the shore - and it is winter lettuce and radish seeds I have bought.  You think I should be ok?

M

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 15:25:52 »
One thing to keep in mind with the subjects you plan on growing is 'botrytis'

So it is best to grow varieties suited to this type of culture.

Good ventilation is essential even more than heat!

Think about it; even with summer varieties you can have problems with temperature and excessive moisture e.g too hot & humid!!

It wil be sufficient if you can keep you greenhouse at around 35°-40°F (2°-4°C) with minimal humidity!

Personally I just go to the supermarket! for my winter lettuce.

And before the PC brigade step in  ::) ;D

My view is my carbon footprint is negative in summer so I can go positive in winter and still come out better than neutral!

After all isn't that what industry does to comply? 8)

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 21:02:44 »
This has nothing to do with carbon footprint TeeGee - it is just someone with an empty greenhouse who would love to be able to grow and pick something to eat in the winter - especially when it is so expensive in the supermarket.

I blew my footprint today when I made bramble and raspberry jams and had to drive the car about 25 miles up the coast to where both are in abundance - probably daft when I can buy jam in the supermarket for 1/2 the cost, but I love the idea that I got the berries for free (sugar on the other hand ......)

Meg

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 22:26:36 »
Lettuce need good light levels, light is the limiting factor in commercial glasshouses, not the heat.(they use additional electric illumination, on 12 hour timing)
Grow them in pots / bags on shelves to gain as much light as possible, if you going to obscure the light with bubble wrap. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal