Author Topic: will you try something different / exotic the coming season?  (Read 5710 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: will you try something different / exotic the coming season?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 14:07:28 »
I'll be growing exotic, patched together fencing, something higher to keep the groundhogs out.

And will try some different types of aubergines after success with "Slim Jim" which was productive...but...well,... slim!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 17:17:38 »
I`m not planning to grow anything `new` next year--but it`s still only August and when the catalouges arrive in the dark cold months my `planning` may change.

Odd as it may sound I`m still looking for a swede that will do well on my very light soil-I left the clay/heavy soil of Leeds in 1993 and have not been able to grow a decent swede since :'(

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 18:50:53 »
Tried butternut squash this year and they've been a waste of time, but the tobacco has done well so I'll probably try that again next year.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

amphibian

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 23:09:38 »
Tried butternut squash this year and they've been a waste of time, but the tobacco has done well so I'll probably try that again next year.

Never had a ny luck with tobacco. Any tips.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 23:29:49 »
Have you tried Winter Radish Cleo.?...... I know it's not the  same but may work for you...  :-X

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 06:26:25 »
Swede is a nightmare on sandy soil, I've never grown a decent one since I left the heavy clay we lived on when I was a kid.... they won't grow in soil most things love....

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 08:18:21 »
We have some overgrown verges at the back of my plot so i was thinking of chucking some horse-radish thongs in there before winter.

One thing i'm planning a small trial of next year is rice.  This may be a back garden planter try out first.  I can only imagine what the site manager would say to my lovely sunken bed!

rice wow,something i would never have thought of!how would you go about that then...good luck!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 22:31:12 »
I quite like the look of that Pepino. I hope whoever here is growing it will tell us actualy what it tastes of

"tastes like melon": Odd, mine tasted like cucumber. Shame I hate cucumber :(
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 07:43:46 »
Actually there is something exotic I think I might get, but will probably have to keep it indoors most of the year - curry leaves (Murraya koenigii)

I'm a bit lacking in window sills... But if I can find a place for one or two plants, it would be good to have fresh curry leaves eventually. Dried ones are ok, but nothing like as delicious as fresh ones.

PigeonSeed this is 1 thing I've been wanting to try for ages, I tried to get some plants earlier in the year but both the suppliers I found had sold out and weren't very forthcoming about when they'd next have them in. So I'm going to put a reminder in my diary for early spring and then look around again. Cos the fresh ones are sooooo much better  ;D

I'll be growing exotic, patched together fencing, something higher to keep the groundhogs out.

And I thought battling with slugs and pigeons was bad enough  :P

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2009, 08:18:42 »
Our daughter came back from Spain at the weekend and bought us some seeds.Long red radish,Piquillo peppers.Round carrots of Paris,Ramallet Tomatoes,Strawberry seedsSweet Peas and last of all some Green Swiss Chard. When she saw my reaction to the latter, she said "You don't like that do you" I said "No, but I will grow it for you love". The strawberries will probably prove to be a challenge.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 10:39:38 »
Have you tried Winter Radish Cleo.?......

Not this year but I have grown `china Rose` and `Black Spanish` in the past with good results-it`s just swedes that will not grow,well they do but they are all neck.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2009, 08:27:43 »
Never had any luck with tobacco. Any tips.

What's the problem you have with it?

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 23:36:39 »
I'm going to try sweet potato next year. Had lots of advice from the Forum so hope to put it into pratice!!

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 11:18:14 »
dunno yet but reading this thread, might try pepino as they sound interesting and I might try rice.

found this web page  for hints and tips on rice#

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/732313/how_to_grow_rice_in_your_garden.html

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 13:35:42 »
Never had a ny luck with tobacco. Any tips.
Used good quality John Innes compost and sow on the surface then mist as often as you can and keep the seed tray in a black bag.  Watering onto the surface of the compost will wash the tiny seed away.  I didn't have any trouble germinating them in an unheated greehouse, but don't sow them until it's quite warm.  Once I planted them out they were trouble-free - and the whole plant is beautifuly fragrant on a hot day when you're working close by.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 15:00:16 »
Unwashed,

can I ask, growing tobacco plants, do you make your own tobacco?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal