Author Topic: Blight in tomato bed in greenhouse  (Read 1859 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Blight in tomato bed in greenhouse
« on: September 17, 2009, 21:56:53 »
This week my toms succombed to blight. It got a leaf that was sticking out of the air vent. I pulled it off, but it was too late. I have taken all the toms off and dealt with the plants. What happens now for next year? Do I need to worry about any blighted toms falling in the soil?

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Re: Blight in tomato bed in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 17:25:58 »
any help with this one?  ???

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 18:35:12 »
Don't like seeing this unanswered and this is what I've gleaned this year from these Boards, after I've experienced blight both in the 'house and outdoor tubs for the 1st time. I hope someone will come along and correct me/answer you if I've got it wrong :-[

I read that blight is airborne and won't live in the soil, but that plants/debris must be diligently cleared away and burned BUT that the soil may be 'recycled' into flower beds, etc.

SO....in your position, I'd carefully pick up any toms/leaves falling onto the soil and dispose of, then, as a precaution(?) I'd scrape off the top whatever of soil and replace with fresh for next year. Actually I'd drench the remaining soil with a disinfectant, too, but that's just me doing my Nursey thang :D

I've not cleared my 'house yet (tho I've disposed of the plants, etc.) so I too would appreciate a definitive answer.

Thanks for asking the questions (sorry about your bad luck) and thanks anyone for a reply.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 22:47:28 »
I have had blight on tomatoes in the GH for three years running now. I have picked off every leaf showing infection on a daily basis. In the previous two years this had the effect of eliminating the disease relatively quickly. However this year it has been more of a problem because even now I am still removing the occasional infected leaf and tomato. However, I am still picking ripe tomatoes and will continue to do so for several weeks yet. I have only removed one plant (out of 12) and that was because the stem had become infected and the plant was dying. 
Blight spores produced from the leaf infections will only survive on living plant material so as long as you remove all plants then there should not be a problem in future years.
I asked Wisley about the importance of spores and soil and subsequent infection last year and received a very wishy-washy non answer. It seems that there are two mating types and if they cross resting spores can be produced and these will remain viable in the soil. However, they were unable to say if this event occurred in the UK. If so, how often and how  it was in acting as a source of infection.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 22:58:21 »
Blight.
Keep on driving your 4*4's (wimmin' sunglasses mandetory)
Fly everywhere - Tenerife/other nuts places/twice yearly.
Buy at Tesco. They turn around thousands of tonnes from their poor suppliers of green food if it doesn't meet their schedules. Where does it end up?
Got blight?
Think on, you may be the root cause!!!!!!!!!!!!
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal