Author Topic: Potato yields  (Read 3726 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Potato yields
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 06:54:09 »
but no slug damage

Allotment ok but slugs a huge problem in the garden.  Once grew potatoes under a black plastic sheet and ended up with only two without slug damage.

If you put one in the microwave with a slug in it the smell is appalling.

eeewwwwwww !

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 10:34:32 »
"ive had my first sarpo tonight, they dont boil very well as i found they broke up very easily"

Thanks for that report, hippydave, it confirms my suspicions. But I have already ordered 120 so I'll either love them or loathe them next year. Maybe steamed or mashed or roasted is the answer.

I'm still digging perfectly good potatoes from under the ?blighted tops.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 11:03:51 »
Epicure were tasteless but not slugged

Kestrel were magnificent and 1/25 slugged or whatever

King Edwards also brilliant with minor damage

Sante 25% had wireworm/slug damage but otherwise monsters

Anya were 20-25% damaged in some way.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

amphibian

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 22:30:11 »
I know I keep going on a bout Salad Blue, but we chipped some this weekend and my oh my they make good chips. Crispy puffs of air. Can't wait to roast them.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 22:50:09 »
Lady Christl were Ok but not as good as previous years. My newbies for this year: Belle de Fontenay was spectacular , beautiful and delish. I have a sackful still to go through. International Kidney - nice but not good enough to really impress me. I lifted my Kestrel today and they are unbelievable. Huge but tasty. I had to get my lads to help me lifting the sacks they were so heavy. Also some Picasso. The slugs were circling the Kestrel but despite late lifting they were virtually untouched.
So next year I'm going for Lady Christl, Belle de Fontenay, Kestrel and Picasso. That will be the first time I haven't tried something new.

The beds were manured last year and this year I built them up with mushroom compost and my own compost. I think that has probably helped, breaking down the clay and allowing the soil to drain freely.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 22:55:12 »
I too had a smaller yield from Lady Christl than normal so am really glad to read other reports of it too, but sorry we all had less.  I will continue grow them next year though as they were still worth growing.  Like Grawrc I was not impressed particularly by International Kidney, nice flavour but small yield for the space they took up.  My Desiree I haven't started digging up yet, hopefully this weekend.

T.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 14:01:02 »
I can never remember what I've grown. I know one of the rows was Bonnie (Bonny?) but the others I don't know. I'm annoyed I wrote down what I planted, where but lost the bit of paper!

I loved some of the types, and others I liked less. But which ones??!!

maybe next year... ::)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 20:06:41 »
Ratte were a bit disappointing, plenty of spuds but very small.
About four plants were slugged but the rest were OK.
But so many small ones that were hardly worth bothering with.
So thats Rocket and Kestrel again next year, but will have to find a different main crop.  ???  :-\  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 22:54:29 »
but no slug damage

Allotment ok but slugs a huge problem in the garden.  Once grew potatoes under a black plastic sheet and ended up with only two without slug damage.

If you put one in the microwave with a slug in it the smell is appalling.

Nemesys kept the slugs off my under plastic spuds but the yield wasn't great... that said the husbandry consisted of cut cross in plastic, lift out spade of soil, drop in spud, mix soil with spade of manure and dump on the hole... ignore for a few months.....

chrisc

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 23:02:42 »
I planted 27kg of spuds (Pentland Javelin, Kestrel, Majestic and Desiree).  Had a return of 100-125kg.  Can't narrow it down much more as we started harvesting the earlies as we wanted them for the plate from June.  We have about 70kg total left in storage. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal