Author Topic: EJ's Rhubarb Chutney  (Read 3824 times)

Tulipa

• Hectare
EJ's Rhubarb Chutney
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:07:42 »

I have just been labelling Rhubarb Chutney made last night from EJ's recipe and thought I would just put a link to it on here.  It is one of my favourites.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,20752.60.html

just in case anyone still needs a recipe.

I also made Rhubarb and Ginger jam this morning - up early to get it done before I was disturbed!

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,16529.0.html

smelt wonderful, I have never made this one before but am looking forward to trying it.

I reasoned that while I can't pick rhubarb for stewing now as the oxalic acid content will be too high, the smaller amount you would eat in jams and chutneys would still be ok.  Hope so!

Made plum jam and blackberry and apple jam yesterday too, think that is enough jam for this weekend!

Have onion bread in the breadmaker and off to start Duke's Courgette and Brie soup. - I'm having fun. :)

T.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: EJ's Rhubarb Chutney
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 09:12:08 »
R+Ginger Jam is lovely...
I have a kitchen of Plums and Discovery Apples to process this morning...  ::)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:15:07 »
ooh have fun Saddad. ;)

I haven't forgotten about the squash recipe, keeping my eye out for it while I am  cooking.

T.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:29:01 »
that looks like a nice recipe, might steal a few more stems  ;D
our kitchen alternates between patak's with onion relish and chutney and mr. kiplings with great piles of discovery apples, making apple juice, stewed apples and apple pies..pears next  ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:35:30 »
Manics, I would love a recipe for onion relish, do you have time to put it on here or tell me which book it is in?

Your kitchen sounds like mine, I need to come off here and go and tidy up before I start anything else. :-[  I have 7 old apple trees well laden at the moment so will be starting on apple recipes next. ::)

T.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 09:51:30 »
Me too, Manics! And also recipes for Discovery apples and Vic plums. i already do jam and wine with the plums. I retire on Friday so I will have all the time in the world to pick and process!! :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 15:49:41 »
wow, Anne, all that time, bet you end up just as busy as you ever were  ;D
the onion relishes are straight off here, i think
this one is done and bottled
olive oil to fry, 2kg onions, 200g demerera sugar, 150g redcurrant jelly, 300ml cider vinegar, 50ml balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
slowly cook the onions down, add everything else, cook until syrupy then bottle
this one is on the stove as we speak, smells wonderful
6 cups chopped onion, half cup fresh lemon juice, 2 tsp cumin seed, 1 tsp whole mustard seed, half tsp tabasco sauce, quarter tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tsp ground chilli pepper, optiona, quarter cup light brown sugar
couldn't find the red pepper flakes so left them out
bring everything to the boil slowly, when it's boiled down, take off and put in jars.
thanks to whoever put these on originally, I was looking for something I could store, hope they work  ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 21:55:56 »
Oooh Anne congratulations on your retirement I am sure you will enjoy it! :) Lovely to see you back on here, I had missed you.

Manics thank you for the recipes - I shall have to try both now, I am no good at making decisions! A good excuse for making 2 lots anyway.

Thanks

T.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 19:19:01 »
Just trying to bump this up for Duke

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal