Author Topic: Recipe Books-Old Favourites  (Read 2254 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Recipe Books-Old Favourites
« on: August 21, 2009, 20:49:11 »
Whilst looking for a menu for this weekend (visitors), I had all the cookery books out, but I ended up using the old favourites once again.
Marguerite Patten (given on my engagement, by this weekend's visitor)
Jane Grigson
Sophie Grigson
Australian Womens Weekly Desserts, (licorice ice cream favourite)
Joycelyn Dimbleby.
I've had these for many years and would hate to be without them.
Do you have a favourite book that you return to time and time again?

Smile, it confuses people.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Recipe Books-Old Favourites
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 21:03:46 »
cordon bleu preserving (bought from a second hand stall by my dad)
reader's digest cookery yearbook 1973 (second hand at a w.i meeting 10 years ago
oded schwartz preserves, borrowed from the library 10 years ago, then found it in a second hand bookstore 4 yars ago....cheap, me  ;D

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 21:12:49 »
I loved everything in this book as a child, especially the scone & ginger snap recipies... but the cat did something unspeakable to it.  :'(

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 21:16:26 »
Marguerite Patten's Jams, Pickles and Chutneys from the 1970s.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 21:23:51 »
Robert Carrier would be my choice.

valmarg

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 22:38:52 »
When you compare the food photograpy of yesteryear with the modern stuff, it looks ghastly, off- putting even. :o
Smile, it confuses people.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 22:59:51 »
I have many many cookery books that i look at for inspiration rather than a recipe but a couple i open and hold  :( that my niece gave me they where my sisters she was "stolen"  too soon by a brain tumour >:( :( she inspired me to cook .her savoury flans were awsome :o
sanity is overated

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 23:02:04 »
'The farmhouse kitchen', a yorkshire television book, it's one of tracie's favourite cook books.
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 00:55:26 »
Anything Delia  ;D

The christmas book is wonderful. :)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 11:39:07 »
When you compare the food photograpy of yesteryear with the modern stuff, it looks ghastly, off- putting even. :o

Most modern food photogrpahs are staged - some of them aren't even food!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 13:54:11 »
Oooh I have loads of books which I use but my favourite would be all of Delia's, especially the original set of three, and  christmas, winter and summer!  I do like the vegetarian though most of the recipes are in the others but it makes them easy to find when cooking for veggie daughter.

Joycelyn Dimbleby too and Aust Women's Weekly. 

I love Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros, some wonderful recipes in there and I love her memories linked to the food. 

I have just got 'The Great British Picnic Guide' by Mark Price which has some lovely recipes in and the Toffee Apple Flapjack was delicious and very moist.  And a lovely old Morris Traveller on the cover just like we used to have...  not really an old favourite but one I would recommend to anyone, was a lovely present. :)

I could go on but I will stop, I can't part with any of my books and am now searching charity shops for second copies for my daughter as she loves them all too and wants her own set!

I love cooking and baking...   ;)

T.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 14:16:08 »
Forgot one of my most important books :-[ - Sonia Allison's book of Preserving - the book I used most for preserves, my bible, just got it out to make plum jam and realised I hadn't listed it here.  Has a wonderful Apple Chutney recipe too.  In fact my Mum phoned to ask for more chutney this morning and I keep lots of my friends supplied with it!

T.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 17:04:03 »
'Good Housekeeping' given as a wedding present in 1974. Tried many others over the years but always return to this - the recipes actually work!

shonam

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 17:35:42 »
I'm a big fan of Nigella but, if I had to choose, my favourites would be my ones I have by Vefa Alexiadou, the Greek equivalent of Delia. I went out with a Greek guy at uni and spent alot of time in Athens and developed a real love of Greek food  so these books are my most used out of all my, ever expanding, recipe collection. Definitely worth looking out if you are into this style of cooking.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal