Author Topic: Runner Bean Failure  (Read 6845 times)

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
Re: Runner Bean Failure
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 21:04:40 »
I am in Essex too and must say that have had and still picking mountains of beans. This is our first season so this could have something to do with it. I planted the seeds in pots during April and did not plant them out until mid May. They were slow to start and suffered initially with black fly during early July. Hosed them off every day and seemed to have controlled it. Planted White Lady and Best of All. I prefer White Lady as they seem to be a softer bean and to date have picked between 40 and 50 lb. Just as well there are two of us tending the plot. Our freezers, families and friends are nearly all beaned out. OH has just come from the freezer searching for an ice lolly and said 'the b.. freezer is full of beans' ::) ::)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 21:07:13 by Jeanbean »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 21:05:31 »
Essex was a desert ( less than 10" of rain pa) for most of the 90's... not just culturally....  ;D
think wigan was a swamp for the last 20 years  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 21:55:38 »
It still is......   ::)

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 22:08:50 »
 Before moving to Ontario, Canada, I lived in  Angmering On Sea. Sussex. Had relatives in Essex, went there several times. :-)))) qahtan

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 22:23:34 »
Qahtan that's a nice area. I used to stay with an aunt at nearby Shoreham when I was a youngster.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 22:35:41 »
 Yes the Sussex coast is beautiful, did you ever get to Seaford, up to the Head, Seven Sisters,,,,,,,  wonderful. Our favourite of favourite places.
   We really miss the ocean.;-((((  qahtan

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 10:52:00 »
We walked the South Downs Way a few years ago and by the time we got to the Seven Sisters I'm sure there were eight. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 16:20:30 »
Yes the Sussex coast is beautiful, did you ever get to Seaford, up to the Head, Seven Sisters,,,,,,,  wonderful. Our favourite of favourite places.
   We really miss the ocean.;-((((  qahtan

Fairly regularly go that way for a walk - I prefer it in winter, with a bright blue sky, a nip in the air. just beautiful. Also like walking round the oxbow lake there as well. I also used to know angmering quite well (friends and family) that direction  :D

Alexihen

• Not So New ...
  • At home in Brittany
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 18:10:01 »
I've grown Painted Lady this year and am picking every other day to keep on top of them.  Absolutely gorgeous taste, with black pepper and butter I can eat them by the bowlful.
Alexihen
Loving Life

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 10:58:27 »
I am in Dorset. I growing White Lady and have french bean 'Cobra' growing adjacent to the runners and are doing fantastically well. The runners are the worst i have ever known them. only grown halfway up the poles and are cropping poorly. Sorry to repeat myself but I am extremely disappointed. Usually get a really good crop. Apart from weather nothing has changed this year (were a bit late going in but should have caught up by now).

Weather here was dry for the first month they were in the ground, but were well watered via a drip feed irrigation system. July as we know was very wet, August (so far) drier with some rain at times. Plants have been fed with a high potash feed at least once to encourage flowering - which has occured but little setting of beans. No shortage of pollenating insects in good weather spells. I am mystified as to what the problem has been. ??? :'(

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 11:03:49 »
garden assistant that is strange, is it the same seed / different seed supplier / saved seed ??

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 12:01:18 »
our runners (Enorma) are ok but not as prolific as usual ... I reckon that we will get about 70% of what we got last year ... still enough mind.

Conversely, the climbing French (Cobra) have been the most prolific yet.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 12:31:50 »
I had some runner bean seeds from one of the members on here along with other seeds. White Lady, Johnsons seeds. Wow what a crop, they have just galloped away. Planted Pink Lady later and they are going to give us a good feed too! I am in Wales.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 15:14:52 »
garden assistant that is strange, is it the same seed / different seed supplier / saved seed ??

Would have to check but as far as i can remember its the same seed as normal from the same supplier (T&M). Not saved seed, fresh from a bought packet. Get back to you on that. Thanks

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 15:16:43 »
Garden Assistant - it was just a thought .... :-\ that may or may not be the reason.
I think mine really struggled in June when it was so hot and dry here. But obviously a different area, a different soil......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal