Author Topic: christmas potaoes  (Read 1504 times)

brownowl23

• Acre
christmas potaoes
« on: August 18, 2009, 15:18:20 »
HAs anyone got any spares or know anywhere I can get any.

Im new to these and didnt realise they sold out so bloomin quick. I ordered some from thompsons and ralised the delivery date was june 2010 DUH.

Got a bed rady for spuds but cant get the spuds.

So now youve all had hysterics at me

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Re: christmas potaoes
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 22:15:42 »
Hi,

I started mine from a few shooting spuds left over from the farm shop which should have been cooked for dinner or tea. They have been in the bag for the past few weeks and boy are they ever growing. They are almost at the top of the bag now and I think we will have plenty from them but not sure as to what they will taste like. Not tried this way before as I usually get mine from a seed merchant. As you have done left a bit late and found them all sold out.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 07:46:43 »
I've got some Vivaldi from T&M & about 5 Lady Balfour organic ones from Sainsbury's that we will give a try.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 16:35:47 »
Hope I'm not teaching granny, but unless your bed is covered/protected from frost I wouldn't try and grow Christmas spuds there. They are usually grown in bags that you can move inside if frost is on its way.

If you buy from a supermarket it may also be best to use bags, because eating (as opposed to seed) potatoes aren't certified virus free there's an outside chance of infecting your soil.

I grew Vivaldi and Anya from Sainsbury's in bags (September 08). The frosts were so heavy that despite being fleeced, they died back and didn't produce until about May this year (and not a very good crop!) but if looked after they, or something like Nicola or Charlotte should be ok.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal