Author Topic: cost of keeping a dog  (Read 4215 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
cost of keeping a dog
« on: August 06, 2009, 08:42:08 »
Does anyone know the cost per week of keeping a fairly large dog, including injections , nail clipping etc.?  A young friend of mine would like to have a dog but would like to know the cost first.  She intends to have one from the local dogs home so the purchase money should not be too high although I do know they charge something.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: cost of keeping a dog
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 08:56:42 »
Without food you have to think of vets fees and insurance if you want it. Remember dogs can live for a long time so cost could add up over the years. We have 2 rabbits and vets fees for their nails and injections add up to 150 quid a year. Thats without the cost of treatment if they are ill, Then theres the cost of bedding and food. Would hate to put aprice on that. Good job we have an allotment.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:01:14 »
With a dog I honestly think that if you have to do calculations based upon how much they will cost, or how much time you will be able to give them then steer well clear.  They are a huge commitment and it would be unfair to decide to trade down or get rid further down the line.

Have no idea what our Retriever costs but very roughly...

Jabs £60 per year
Insurance £14 per month
Food £10 a week.
Others £120 a year.
Kennels £12 per day when on holiday.
Best laid plans and all that

JoeCocker

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 09:24:59 »
The cost of keeping a dog can depend very much on the dog itself, Lila, the smooth haired boarder collie pictured is very accident prone, we got her from boarder collie rescue two and half years ago,when she was seven months, i think the fee/donation was around £120.

Within the first six months she, punctured her stomach, bit her main archery in her tongue chasing and catching a ball (at which point i decided to take out insurance) she then ran into a stick/tree and tore her ligament and broke her knee cap.
She was also very highly strung  (which i believe is why she was so accident prone) so we spent over £200 on a dog physiologist so we could learn to handle her better (which is now a lot easier)

Although insured you still have to stand the first £80. I would now never own a dog without insurance as the vets fees are exceptionally high, plus it allows you to have the dog treated without considering cost. Gus (the other dog picturered) started having fits earlier this year and needed two brain scans, this would have cost me almost £2k without insurance, but he's now fine, apparently its quiet common in boarder collies?

My dogs are fed dry food mixed with either tin or left overs so feeding cost is around £10 per week for both.

Theres the yearly cost of inoculations etc and other routine medications, flees , glands etc

Dogs are great companions , and i would never be without them, but they are a 365 days a year commitment, rain or shine

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 10:39:53 »
We are also debating about having a couple of  sighthounds once again but only about 18inches high.  Costs do come into it and this time round I will definitely be taking out a good comprehensive insurance policy which I did not have before, over twenty years ago I paid out over £400.00 just for one operation but the dog did have a leg amputated plus after care, by the way my last three dogs all lived to seventeen years of age is having a dog is for the long term if you are a responsible owner, :)   

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 10:54:21 »
we recently rescued a terrier sized dog so costs are fresh in my mind, the fee was £120 for that he came neutered, microchipped and vaccinated, so as yet he has not needed to be re vaccinated so cant tell  you the cost of that
de flea every month about £3 or £4
worm every 6 months £4
food under £1 a day mix of dried and wet food and treats
insurance £11 a month
toys and leads, poop bags, bedding etc to take into account
he is only a small dog so you would have to increase the cost for a larger dog
needs lots of time and love but worth every penny

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 11:24:32 »
We have 5 big dogs they cost us...
£10.00 a week in food and they are fed twice a day !
£4.00 week in treats
Frontline (buy big bottle) £45.00 a year
vaccinations for 3 (2 now no longer need jabs as they are old and vet advised not to do it) £80.00 a year done via a group.
We dont insure them as it would cost a fortune but we do pay £30.00 a month into the vet saving account to cover any costs.
We take them on hols with us so no kennel fees.
Have had some very BIG vet bills, one for cruciet ligament on a labrador was almost £700 and tooth extraction can run to about £250.00 !
Having said all that we have no kids and the cost of one of those would be much higher  ;D
Think long and hard as one of our dogs went to 4 homes before he came here 12 years ago !!!!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 14:27:17 »
I am so glad my late husband decided to take out insurance on Elsa. (First time we have ever had animal insurance)  Admittedly when he was alive the vet bills would not have been too much of a problem but now I am on my own big vet bills would be a worry. The first bill we had for her was £380 which the insurance paid (less excess). More recently they have paid the cost of treatment/medication for arthritis. My insurance is not the most comprehensive as they only pay for one year for any recurring problems but I have been very glad of the amount they have paid over the past 10 years.
She is fed on dried food plus a little breast of chicken. Recently the cost of dried food went up to £3.60 per 1.1/2kg (local Co-op!!) so I have just had a 15kg bag delivered for £19.99 delivered free which is a big saving.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 14:32:44 »
After about 25 years of having dogs we have been dog free for a year

We miss them

But  They are a bind  you can't just get up n go

And as for the price apart from vet bills rest just go's on the normal shopping

May get another one In time but not just yet  :)
i don't belive death is the end

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 15:46:04 »
Graceland,
                That was our problem when we had dogs we just could not get away without putting them in kennels unlike others that just kick their  animals out most nights or even for weeks, dogs do need attention but also give you more back like one of my Lurcher many years ago when she  pinned a burglar against the wall of my mother-in-laws house and he started to call for help my wife left him there cra--i-g himself until the police turned up, but these days we have the caravan so we might give it a go, :) 

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 16:30:34 »
Thanks for all the replies. 

J/B.  My reaction to your post was how very,very lucky the 2 dogs were to find such a good home. , and thanks for the info..

May I say I hope all my friends are not the sort to take on a dog or pet of any kind and then change their mind.    I think we would part company.

I think with a young family and the current recession one should be careful of taking on extra expence and therefore to prevent  the above it is best to know the cost.  Kennals would not be a problem.  Several people would look after a dog for holidays.

Thanks again for replies.  I am studying them.  What a lot of info..

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 16:36:08 »
Graceland,
                That was our problem when we had dogs we just could not get away without putting them in kennels unlike others that just kick their  animals out most nights or even for weeks, dogs do need attention but also give you more back like one of my Lurcher many years ago when she  pinned a burglar against the wall of my mother-in-laws house and he started to call for help my wife left him there cra--i-g himself until the police turned up, but these days we have the caravan so we might give it a go, :) 

Like i said you Miss um and am sure one day i will get another
i don't belive death is the end

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 15:18:14 »
When you take on a dog it is a long term commetment, and none of us know what the future holds for us.
Take out insurance but read the fine print not all is covered check all pet insurers.
Vets will do a payment plan just ask they are willing. Or start a savings account for the pet.
If you fall on hard times like lose your job, theres the PDSA, some vets are members so worth while checking, once signed up they just ask for a donation. Pensioners use this a lot and vets have the forms if there members.
My last 4 dogs one lived till 15 one till14  these were my westies. My mums dogs I inherited, the pup till12 and I have the mum whos 14 still going but showing her age.

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 21:13:10 »
 This was our black Saluki, (sighthound) Qahtan, she was gorgeous,
 You can't put a price on all the love etc that you get from your animal. it is worth every penny...... qahtan

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 18:57:37 »
What cost is it?

Same as a kid but for less time me thinks.

Which you choose is up to the individual.

I have no need to think of cost when a child or pet returns the love you give them.

;D ;D ;D

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 23:45:49 »
There is also the unexpected costs as well. We were lucky. My dog only chewed off the baize on one side of a billiard table. It meant that we threw it away rather than sell it.
Up the road a lovely labrador destroyed a kitchen and chewed through a wall. Sometimes new dogs can do strange things like that. Neither dog would dream of doing such a thing now and have turned out to be lovely well balanced animals whose companionship is priceless.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal