Author Topic: Shed problem  (Read 1553 times)

oubykh

• Half Acre
Shed problem
« on: October 07, 2004, 22:53:11 »
Went down to my shed today for the first time this week to find my pumpkins very wet to touch! Think i have a big condensation problem as i had to throw away three as they were starting to rot. :(
Will move the onions and garlic to utility room where its dry but what should i do to solve the problem longterm?? any ideas welcome

cheers
Oubykh

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re:Shed problem
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 09:13:21 »
As temps cool at night sheds start to get wet if there is not adequate ventilation. Cool damp air and not adequate ventilation lead to condensatoion forming on the walls, roof and windows of a shed.

If you leave a window slightly ajar that will help but this makes security an issue. You can cut ventilation holes into the walls of the shed, assuming it is wood this is dead easy. Try and cut holes so you can create a cross flow of air to increase ventilation.

Finally some form of insulation will help, but only if used in conjunction with extra ventilation.

On my shed, it is a big one at 17foot by 10 foot, I have insulated the roof and walls with fibre glass wool and clad with ply. There are also vents at both eaves and on all 4 walls at floor level. very snug in winter!

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 22:39:27 »
Thanks jerry for thr advice. i had previously blocked of a lot of gaps in the wood with carpet as i was concerned that my onions would get damp in there but i obviously need to rethink!!

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 15:12:32 »
While you're thinking you could try a dehumidifier, the sort that take crystals. Generally < £5. They work reasonably in a small(ish) space.

Jeremy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal