Author Topic: Garlic  (Read 1628 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Garlic
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:22:32 »
Our elephant and ordinary garlic were taken out when a couple of leaves had gone brown and almost everyone of them have split into separate cloves. Still edible but not as pleasing to the eye. Could it be the wet weather I wonder?
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 14:08:13 »
What do you mean by 'not as pleasing'? Last year mine came out with grey skins due to the wet, but they were foine this year. Unfortunately I had a bad attack of migraine over the weekend and didn't get my garlic presented as well as it should have done, and I suspect that cost me a first for it in the site show.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 14:10:05 by Robert_Brenchley »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 17:29:48 »
I do like to string mine up but they don't look as nice when all the cloves are separate like shallots
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 18:16:52 »
I get you, that's what happens when the covering has rotted. You probably left them too long.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 18:50:53 »
It happens when you leave them in the ground too long. I left two heads of garlic in the ground to harvest the bulbils on the top of the plant (hard necked garlic), and noticed that the head of garlic had opened up. It is the natural progression of garlic, preparing for growth next year.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 16:43:34 »
My garlic harvested in June, so not late harvested, had this problem and I think what happened is that the soil dried out and the outer skin set. Then when it rained again,  the cloves expanded but the outer skin couldn't and so burst. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal