Author Topic: Sweetcorn problem  (Read 2553 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Sweetcorn problem
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 15:23:54 »
I have grown one batch part in my garden and part in my allotment.  In fact the best ones went in here and I put the extras in the lottie.  Those in the allotment have done brilliantly and are about three times the size of the ones in the garden.  Only difference is that there is much more sun on the allotment, whereas in the garden it is between two houses and so sun goes in and out during the day.

They seem to like lots of manure (can even cope if contaminated), so can use up all the iffy manure.

I got a bit impatient and picked one too soon, very tasty but the kernals not very full.

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 15:30:36 »
i have never grown corn before

i am not sure when they are ready

i have tassles which are starting to go orangey from cream - any ideas?

dax

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 15:36:42 »
Dax the male tassels are at the top of the stems. The female silks are at the top of the cobs, which are lower down.
The time beween sowing and picking is approximately 14 weeks, and the silks will have turned chocolate brown. Test for ripeness by pulling part of the sheath back and squeezing a couple of grains. If unripe the liquid is watery, if ripe it's creamy and if it's doughy you've waited too long!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 16:16:18 »
I have about 48 super sweet doing about 6 foot three to four cobs per plant about a third are turning brown and have fattened up again this year
allways worth the wait i have them underplanted with my pumkins growing all through them they seem to tie the plants down  and no need to cane them in and also keeps the water locked in as i have them all planted through a membrane at the house there was about 32 ton of manure earlier in the year was a little worried it might of been too fresh and would not of produced Male flowers hence no cobs but i  must say this must be my best year yet for corn a success story not like the caulis this year

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal