Author Topic: Do you remember?  (Read 17076 times)

Sholls

• Acre
Re: Do you remember?
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2009, 18:45:08 »
we had the alpine lorries, used to buy it for my kids  :o

I'm not a lover of soft drinks, but I wish Alpine still existed, (they did do a nice pineapple concoction); I loathe buying stuff in plastic bottles. :( Even glass bottles of Irn Bru & Schweppes tonics are hard to come buy these days. :(

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2009, 18:50:54 »
I know a place you can still get that Flossy...  :)
Me too !

Noooooo, where,  where saddad,?      ;D
Norwich Market, herb and spice type deli stall
You couldn't make it up!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2009, 18:55:49 »
Horlicks Tablets anyone? Used to have a pack of them every saturday morning after swimming and before the library!

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2009, 19:07:20 »
What about Pacers, green and white striped chewy sweets, similar to opal fruits

I remember pacers & loved them. :D

In the early to mid '80s there were two 'bars', similar in length to a Curly Wurly, made of an Opal Fruit type substance. One was minty with green and white diagonal stripes, the other fruity with multicoloured stripes... I can't for the life of me remember what they were called. :(

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2009, 19:28:13 »

OMG,   Spanish Wood and it's in Norwich, thanks saddad and tonybloke,

--  used to chew on that  [ wonder what it did to our teeth ] along with 'flying saucers '

and  with all the other 1/2d and 1d  goodies,  amazing what you could get with 3d,     ;D
Hertfordshire,   south east England

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2009, 20:01:16 »
OMG sweet peanuts tonybloke, my favourites, and proper creamline toffees - yum.   ;D ;D
Make mine a large one!

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2009, 21:17:43 »
sherbot fountains. highland toffee, davenports beer at home

JTW  ::)

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2009, 21:25:05 »
sherbot fountains. highland toffee, davenports beer at home

JTW  ::)

I know the parent company went to the wall years ago, but Highland Toffee is still on sale in my 'corner' shop.  :o Maybe I should scrutinise the sell by dates?  ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2009, 21:27:02 »

Noooooo, where,  where saddad,?

Herbal Health... AKA Fitzpatricks.. Rawtenstall Lancashire. My home town... often "featured" as the last Temperance Bar in Britain...  :)

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2009, 21:43:28 »
Alpines drinks did my teeth no good we used to get 10 bottles a week when i was a kid we got a soda stream but alpines pop was much better.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2009, 22:23:05 »
Tiger nuts and Birds topping...(we called it birds dropping) but not together of course ;D. Birds Eye ice cream sponge, probably an early version of Arctic roll.
Smile, it confuses people.

banshee

• Half Acre
  • Watched over by Nya
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2009, 22:23:54 »
My eldest son's favourite sweetshop   ;D :o

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/?source=affwin

Does anyone remember superwhip, found in the frozen section, was like a slimmers version of cream and was in a tub like vitalite butter/margarine/spread?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 22:26:32 by banshee »
Little garden plot, tended by faeiries, eaten by snails............

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 22:54:21 »
Went to the National Sweet Pea Show in Lynford, Hampshire last year and in the town is the most fantastic old fashioned sweet shop. I could have spent hours in there just looking. Large screw top jars full of all sorts of goodies, for example old fashioned humbugs, and all sorts of other sweets such as sherbet and liquorice tubes to suck it through, flying saucers, liquoice sticks, proper peanut brittle. The sweet pea show was superb but the sweet shop was by far the best bit of the day.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2009, 23:02:47 »
Uncle Joe's Mint balls...  ;D

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2009, 06:36:39 »
Yes, katynewbie, I too loved Horlicks tablets.  There came a moment when suddenly the whole mouth was filled with a delicious creamy taste - not quite toffee and not quite vanilla, but so thick and satisfying.

Horlicks drink just wasn't nearly as good.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2009, 07:47:02 »
Wasn't that about the time they made you gag... bleaaaagh!  :-\

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2009, 07:53:38 »
Most of the items mentioned were before my time  ;D , but do remember all of Cornykev's sweets ;D.
I used to love the candy tabacco in pouches and candy cigarettes.

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/?source=affwin

You beat me to it ;)

Neil

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2009, 09:04:49 »
Tiger nuts and Birds topping...(we called it birds dropping) but not together of course ;D. Birds Eye ice cream sponge, probably an early version of Arctic roll.
Tiger nuts..I'd forgotten them,and yesterday talking to a lottie neighbour we remembered  kali and a stick of spanish, it was an acidic flavoured sugar with a stick of black liquorice to use as a dipper if you used your finger it would be stained and if you had a scratch would sting :o'can't imagine what was in that ???
sanity is overated

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2009, 09:11:15 »
Uncle Joe's Mint balls...  ;D
we have the uncle joe's mintball factory..the smell's fantastic, good for clearing the sinuses  ;D
still give me ulcers though  :)

banshee

• Half Acre
  • Watched over by Nya
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2009, 09:49:41 »
We are only about 3 miles away from the Uncle Joes Mint Ball factory, I used to use them religiously for settling irratable bowel syndrome as the peppermint oil soothed it - sadly can't have them now as they would play havoc with my sugar/insulin levels.

Tiger nuts..I'd forgotten them,and yesterday talking to a lottie neighbour we remembered  kali and a stick of spanish, it was an acidic flavoured sugar with a stick of black liquorice to use as a dipper if you used your finger it would be stained and if you had a scratch would sting :o'can't imagine what was in that ???

Sounds like you are talking about 'rainbow crystals' there macmac, you can still buy that at the newsagents here. What about cream soda? Similar to the white sherbet in sherbet fountains only pink in colour and tasted like perfume - seemed to be ok with smokey bacon crisps though if I remember rightly  :o ;D

Also, burtons 'potato puffs'? plain, cheese and onion, beef and my favourite bacon and bean flavoured. The plain and cheese and onion and beef were still sold near me until about 2 years ago, not seen the bacon and bean since I was a little girl.

Little garden plot, tended by faeiries, eaten by snails............

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal