Author Topic: Open day in Glasgow Saturday 22nd August  (Read 2331 times)

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
Open day in Glasgow Saturday 22nd August
« on: August 17, 2009, 21:19:18 »
Hello all

I know it's a bit short notice, but the New Victoria Gardens (Glenapp Street, off Albert Drive, Pollokshields, Glasgow) are having an open day on Saturday afternoon.  I know it's too far for most of you to come, but there are a few weegies (that's Glaswegians to you) out there, I know. 

Weather permitting we'll have the annual show, barbecue, beer tent, games for the kids, more cakes than you can shake a stick at and guided tours by my two lads and their pals - although I think this will mostly consist of finding the best den in the community composting area and perhaps hunting the biggest frogs. 

Starts around 2ish, and if you look sharp you'll manage to dodge the local MP  ;)

Hope to see one or two of you there - if you're about, come and find me flipping burgers and pricking sausages,  missus.

Ali x

shonam

• Quarter Acre
Re: Open day in Glasgow Saturday 22nd August
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 21:26:42 »
Hi Ali

My car's booked in for a service on Saturday but am going to try and get over if it's finished on time. I'm in Penilee so not too far. Don't have an allotment but am in the middle of planning my new veg plot in my garden and looking for inspiration.

Shona :)

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 21:30:29 »
Er, don't look at my plot for inspiration - everything seems to have either gone mad or died or both, including all the weeds.

Hope to see you on Saturday.

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 21:44:35 »
Bump

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 21:51:58 »
I'm being dragged to the inner circle of hell (the city centre) on Saturday. I see you're near a railway station, I may be able to plot an escape... You won't put an Edinburgher on the grill, will you?  :-X

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 21:53:03 »
Not while the press are looking...  ;D

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 21:55:00 »
I think I'm worse than an Edinbugger - I'm English  :) (naturalised now, but)

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 22:06:10 »
I think I'm worse than an Edinbugger - I'm English  :) (naturalised now, but)

Well, I'm 'guilty' of that too... but the Scottish rellies went to work on my accent before I could talk, so I just sound 'confused'. ;)

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 22:25:39 »
Good luck with your open day greenstar, hope the sun shines for you  :)

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 17:49:08 »
Hope you all have a great day

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 09:58:06 »
Good Luck .... anyone in the vicinity go along and support the movement...
 :)

shonam

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 19:18:18 »
Made it along to the open day today with OH and had a great time having a nosy at all the plots. Got lots of ideas for my garden and, even better, OH is really enthused about the garden too now. He's even coming round to my idea of getting rid of all the grass in the back garden and making it all raised beds.

I really enjoyed seeing the fruit trees with all the apples and plums - they looked delicious and I had dismissed the idea of these in my garden because of the size but I saw quite a few reasonably sized trees with loads of fruit. So I'm getting quite excited about the prospect of growing my own fruit now.

Only complaint about the day now is that I want an allotment plot - my garden looks rubbish in comparison lol. Maybe one day... :)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 19:43:34 »
Get on a waiting list... your nearest site if it's any good...  :)

shonam

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 21:34:09 »
I'm seriously considering it but OH isn't so convinced. There's private allotments nearby but I don't know if it might be too much what with working full time and I'm also studying a history degree with the OU - glutton for punishment, I know lol. Am definitely having a think about it though as I would love the possibilities a big plot would offer. 

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 09:03:41 »
Hope evrything went well for you Ali
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 23:12:27 »
Thanks everyone - it was a great day, but I never want to see another burger or sausage again! And the sun shone, all day, for the first time in weeks!  Think we made nearly two grand overall which will hopefully go some way towards mending the roof on the hall and fixing the toilets.  The highlight of my day was getting best in show for my chocolate bell peppers and seeing my lads get second and third prize in the kids competition (out of thirteen, mind).

Shonam, whereabouts are you?  Our waiting list is currently open but people are staying on it for nearly 4 years before they get offered a plot.  If you're willing to take a half plot or a quarter "taster" plot it might be less than that

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 07:55:12 »
well done on raising all that dosh, sounds like you had a great time, except for the burgers and sausages  ::)

Shonam, if the waiting lists are long, if you put your name down now, by the time one comes up it could be at a better time for you (i.e. not committed to 15 million other things!)  :)

shonam

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 17:06:22 »
Ali - I loved your allotments and would love to be able to put my name down there but it really is a bit too far for me as I'm in Penilee (by Hillington). Really pleased that you all managed to raise so much money - seems like a lovely wee community and everyone I spoke to was really nice so please pass my thanks on for such a warm welcome.

Well, today I bit the bullet - I phoned the council and am being sent a list with all the allotments and contacts.  Hopefully it will arrive in the next day or so and then I can start making some enquiries. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal