Author Topic: Found in the garage!  (Read 2461 times)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
Found in the garage!
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:28:05 »
After 12 years & 2 moves I finally decided to "sort" the garage yesterday & discovered several bottles of home made wine, most are reds in brown bottles so I can't see through - too dusty anyway - but amongst them was a three-quarter full bottle of parsnip wine, vintage 1989.   Sheer Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!
Has anyone else had a lucky find?

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Re: Found in the garage!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 20:06:38 »
Over 40 years ago I had a girlfriend who lived on a farm where I occassionally stayed. Her Dad kept bees and after the honeycombs were spun I boiled them and after cooling, lifted the beeswax off the large pan thinking it would come in useful.

I was about to throw away the liquid when he suggested that I take it home and ferment it to produce mead and I duly put the two gallons of liquid in a 5 gallon plastic disinfectant drum (washed), put it in the boot of my much loved 1953 split-windscreen Morris Minor and promptly forgot about it.

3 weeks later I opened the boot to put something in, to find a drum about to explode, and after releasing the pressure and waiting a few days bottled the resulting naturally fermented mead which was perfect!

I drank all the mead eventually and about 10 years later having dragged the beeswax all over the country to different places where I lived and worked, finally threw it away having found no use for it.

Happy days!

http://allaboutallotments.com/index.html
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 20:11:09 by allaboutliverpool »

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 16:51:32 »
Have now checked the other bottles, apart from one of runner bean the others were wooonderful!
Damson 1990
Ginger 1992
Parsnip 1990
Beetroot 1987
Guess its time to make some more ready for my five year-old Grandson's twenty-first!

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:18:21 »
I have just found a half gallon of sloe gin, although it now tastes like sultana gin it is still potent and delicious!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal