Author Topic: Mediterranean feel  (Read 10313 times)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Mediterranean feel
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 19:59:15 »
Joe, my plot neighbour, picked another handful of good colour and size aubergines off his Long Purple plants today!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 07:16:55 »
Joe, my plot neighbour, picked another handful of good colour and size aubergines off his Long Purple plants today!

You do know you can go off people like your mate Joe !  ;)   :P  ;)

Ah well here's to next year   ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 10:27:21 »
OK so i wish you all would just stop it!!! not only can i not succeed with ochros but aubergines are seriously trying to wind me up as well, every year i try to grow them outdoors and fail abysmally. this year not only did they get put outside but i also built a custom made mini greenhouse around them, so they could get the best of both worlds. i had an extra plant and gave it to my neighbour to grow in his greenhouse but under the strict instructions not to succeed if i was failing or appear to be failing, today he told me with the biggest grin he could muster (the old bugger) that he have three young fruit on his plant. and what do i have ..... bugger all >:(.
thifasmom, perhaps you could try "Slim Jim" aubergines next year which are small and thin. I always failed at growing the big ones so this year planted the small "Slim Jim"- some outside and some in the walk in cold frame. The ones outside produced earlier for some reason and they get part shade. My main problem has been flea beetles.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 10:56:46 »
OK so i wish you all would just stop it!!! not only can i not succeed with ochros but aubergines are seriously trying to wind me up as well, every year i try to grow them outdoors and fail abysmally. this year not only did they get put outside but i also built a custom made mini greenhouse around them, so they could get the best of both worlds. i had an extra plant and gave it to my neighbour to grow in his greenhouse but under the strict instructions not to succeed if i was failing or appear to be failing, today he told me with the biggest grin he could muster (the old bugger) that he have three young fruit on his plant. and what do i have ..... bugger all >:(.
thifasmom, perhaps you could try "Slim Jim" aubergines next year which are small and thin. I always failed at growing the big ones so this year planted the small "Slim Jim"- some outside and some in the walk in cold frame. The ones outside produced earlier for some reason and they get part shade. My main problem has been flea beetles.

yes grannieannie, I'm seriously thinking of trying some of the slimmer aubergine varieties as i so do love my aubs. i am only used to the big purple ones but it looks like i will have to broaden my choices next year and try something new.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2009, 14:25:45 »
Thifasmom - Hi and appologies!  :-[
I now have 5 baby aubergines. And I'm so proud of 'em!
I ended up bringing the plant indoors and putting it on a small table near a sunny window and this seems to have encouraged it no end. I was a bit worried about pollination, but someone told me they are self polinating. Any chance you could move 1 of your plants indoors?

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2009, 16:18:25 »
Thifasmom - Hi and appologies!  :-[
I now have 5 baby aubergines. And I'm so proud of 'em!
I ended up bringing the plant indoors and putting it on a small table near a sunny window and this seems to have encouraged it no end. I was a bit worried about pollination, but someone told me they are self polinating. Any chance you could move 1 of your plants indoors?

well now i really feel friendless :'(

no i won't be moving them inside it'll mean digging them up and i just don't feel like going down that road.

i'll just have to patiently wait for next seaeson and try again with other varieties :-\

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2009, 07:52:11 »
Hadn't realised yours were in the ground. Shame. But I'll be in a similar position next year as I'm going to grow mine in the ground at my plot, so will have to devise some protection from the elements.
In the meantime the slugs are still doing their best to destroy my basil  :'(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2009, 09:23:51 »
How many yards would you like? (Basil)  ;D

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2009, 09:26:21 »
just 1 healthy plant would be a start!
I think the best plan is for me to have them on the window sills. The slugs this year are monsters - and it seems no matter how many I decapitate they still keep coming.... they've just started on the tomatoes now  :-X

charlie888

• Not So New ...
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2009, 12:30:22 »
I'm in the same boat with the aubergines, I've got a couple of very healthy looking Ophelia plants outside in Leeds with lots of lovely purple flowers but no sign of any fruit at all, it shouldn't really be a lack of pollination as we've got a bees nest under the house so the garden is always buzzing with the things so I guess it's just down to it not being warm enough? but hey ho they look pretty and it was worth a try.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2009, 14:17:24 »
that's the variety I'm growing Charlie. So there's hope yet  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal