Author Topic: Old seed can we use it?  (Read 1828 times)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Old seed can we use it?
« on: August 07, 2009, 15:30:59 »
I have got many seeds to which I have not sown as yet.
Is there a reason for the date to be sown by on them?
I use the seed on a regular basis and find that most of it comes through, though some does not. Should I continue to use this seed or should I replace it with a fresh quantity?
Does this hold true for flower seeds too?
I still have seed dating back to 1991 which has come through in the pas, but I have not tried this for a while. It is all kept in sealed containers to try and keep it as fresh as possible.
There is plenty there so I would not need to replace all of it just those that you may think I need to.
I have a variety of veggies and flowers come in perennial, half hardy perennial, hardy annual, and half hardy annual. Also a box of biennial seeds to keep us going.
Seems to me that the seed banks can use old seed to keep alive certain types of plant, so why cant we do the same?

Got them back now to put some tread on them

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Old seed can we use it?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 15:44:51 »
It does depend on what it is... the sow by dates are for a set % germination.. but many perform well for years. Some flower seeds like poppies can remain dormant in the soil for decades... if in doubt do a damp towel trial before sowing out..  :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 16:48:19 »
Beans seem to keep well but parsnips are said not to keep at all.  Having said that I have used the same parsnip seeds for four years - they promptly failed this year though.
Even seed banks have to refresh their stocks by planting and collecting every now and then - I replace mine when the germination rate is poor enough to warant it but saddad's idea of a presowing test  seems a good approach
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 16:51:34 »
Scuse my ignorance but what is a damp towel test?
Lizann :0)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 20:30:46 »
I understand that parsnip seed needs to be fresh, but you have to wonder with some seed companies, 'how fresh is fresh'?

There was a Which article last year which  compared germination rates.  Some companies got very bad results.  The Which survey made the point, - just because you get very poor germination rates is not necessarily your poor gardening ability, but more likely the poor quality of the seed.

The one seed you will NEVER fail with is tomato.  You could take the seeds out of a tin of tomatoes and germinate them. ;D ;D

In some cases, whether it is the variety you wanted could also be in doubt.

valmarg

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 21:55:13 »
Hi Lizann...
Damp towel... put seeds on damp paper towel.. keep damp for a few days... use ten seeds count how many germinate... less than five use now or throw away.
 ;D

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 10:39:06 »
I have found that the best thing is to scrap the seed bank that I have and start a fresh with new and better seed to keep the chance of germination at a maximum.
Sorry to see this all go and I will now have to adhere to the growing cycle of the plans and what we want to grow.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 12:08:32 »
if you don't really want to throw them out why not start a seed swap stating they are old seeds then others can take the risk if they want. or freecycle them as old seed i'm sure you'll have a few takers :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 18:58:36 »
I'm wondering what exactly goes on with parsnip seed. Two springs ago, I put some in a sealed jar with some damp tissue. Some germinated, some didn't. this spring, a lot more germinated. That looks more like irregular germination to me.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 22:50:19 »
My concern is ' are the varieties you ordered the varieties you received'?

What should have been Imperial Green Longpod broad beans have been a very mixed bunch. Some white bean, some green bean, but a great disappointment.  Not what I was expecting.

valmarg

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 23:26:11 »
Where did you get them?

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 06:40:34 »
Moles Seeds.  But I would have to say they all tasted very good. ;D

valmarg

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 15:01:12 »
All seed has now gone to the school project team for them to try.
I hope this will encourage the little ones to start to grow and get them interested in all that we eat and enjoy. ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal