Author Topic: Ovewinter Garlic  (Read 1702 times)

muddylou

• Half Acre
Ovewinter Garlic
« on: August 12, 2009, 22:41:37 »
I've had the plot ten months now but didn't plant anything over the winter months as I was too busy clearing it up.
      Our Lottie shop sells onion sets to plant, so no worries there. I've kept the best of my shallots (spring planted), I read that small shallots produce larger shallots and vice-versa, so hopefully they are sorted as well.
       My question is, which variety of garlic would anyone recommend to grow overwinter and where should I order it ? I'm more interested in dependability rather than huge bulbs as my spring planted stuff was disappointing.

Thanks. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Ovewinter Garlic
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 22:45:54 »
Any garlic you like. It's always best planted around October, though some types can be put in as late as March.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 22:55:00 »
Just one point. Don't buy garlic from the supermarket to grow on. It's often from such a different climate that it doesn't grow well here. I started out with some Marco a number of years ago and saving year to year it seems to get better. ( see avatar)

In answer to the question I get asked every year  ;D

http://www.bloomingfieldsfarm.com/garbrdhow.html
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 22:57:02 by djbrenton »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 23:40:40 »
Another vote for Marco, I also saved my own to grow on and had even better crops.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 23:54:09 »
I've got nothing but praise for supermarket garlic and have no problems with it. Buy the best loose with clean intact skins and only plant the largest cloves. It will cost less than a pound.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 00:53:58 »
Quite a few people say that. I know we always hear dire warnings, but is there anyone who's actually had problems?

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 01:26:34 »
No problems here. I planted supermarket bought garlic and I've just harvested the last of them, not huge, but adequate.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 02:38:41 »
If you go to the market and buy cheap seconds then there may be a problem, but if you select large healthy heads with nice clean undamaged papery skins from a store with good turnover, they are no more likely to be diseased than specialized seed stock.

There is also only the seed suppliers word for it that they grew them and not bought in from the market.

Once you have a nice harvest, save your own cloves for replanting and you should be able to select better and better cloves each year.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 07:48:10 »
If you did want to get named varieties there is:

http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

You can buy in bulk off them and end up with bulbs about 80p each. Buying in small quantaties is much too expense.

This year all my garlic was hit by rust and had to be pulled early :'(
I had been saving it from previous years but now I have to renew - so our local gardening group is buying a mix of 5Kg to share out.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 09:23:41 »
There's no need to buy new planting garlic because of rust. I had foliage killed by rust two years ago. I planted the best cloves, and had no rust at all last year.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 12:40:49 »
I've grown supermarket garlic in the past without issue. Tried Marco for last two seasons and it's been rubbish whereas the thermidor planted at the same time did very well

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 12:49:25 »
There's no need to buy new planting garlic because of rust. I had foliage killed by rust two years ago. I planted the best cloves, and had no rust at all last year.
even if the bulbs are tiny  robert? i pulled all ours when i noticed the rust,should i have left them in? i panicked when i saw the rust had also attacked the leeks?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 15:49:39 »
even if the bulbs are tiny  robert? i pulled all ours when i noticed the rust,should i have left them in? i panicked when i saw the rust had also attacked the leeks?

I pulled all mine up too and they are quite small. Won't the rust be carried over on the bulbs if I use them again?
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 17:07:19 »
Since it's a foliage disease, it doesn't affect the bulbs. Two years ago my garlic had it so badly the tops died off completely. The bulbs were a little smaller than usual, but perfectly usable.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal